English Idioms

what does it mean ??

Hi ! I'd like to know what the idiom "it's one and the same" meaning in french. (if it's an idiom).
thanks a lot !

3 comments

• "one and the same" = identical.

ONE and SAME as adjective:
    I feel a one and the same person. (je me sens une seule et même personne.)
    I am at one and the same time a learner and a dancer. (... à la fois/en même temps...)
    It turns to be the one and the same thing. (cela s'avère être une seule et même chose.)

It's one and the same (C'est identique, une seule et même chose.)

I wonder if I may take it for "It makes no odds" and translate it as "c'est du pareil au même". I think I couldn't as long as I were sticking to strict language. But in an everay day talk, in some context, why not?
  • From Gee:
    "one and the same" = identical.

ONE and SAME as adjective:
    I feel a one and the same person. (je me sens une seule et même personne.)
    I am at one and the same time a learner and a dancer. (... à la fois/en même temps...)
    It turns to be the one and the same thing. (cela s'avère être une seule et même chose.)

It's one and the same (C'est identique, une seule et même chose.)

I wonder if I may take it for "It makes no odds" and translate it as "c'est du pareil au même". I think I couldn't as long as I were sticking to strict language. But in an everay day talk, in some context, why not?

• Hello Marjolaine, would you be so kind to tell me more about your very interesting name, Marjolaine. I think, I already heard it in a song. From Brassens or another song-writer. What are your assossiations to it?

Please sign in to leave a comment.