English Grammar

word order

Somewhere sometime somebody told someone something somewhat useful about how to order some words in a sentence.

I wonder whether somewhere and sometime were correctly put in order in previous sentence or not.
If there is over there anyone who would be so kind as to teach me the rules of word order, I would be very grateful.

7 comments

• I wonder whether there is anyone out anywhere who could anytime solve your problem, Gee. For my part, I cannot.
    Is "anywhere anytime" correct or "anytime anywhere", or maybe are both correct? I don't know at all.
    Wait and see!

I take the chance nonetheless to recall something that has been released here on this forum some time ago, I think it was by Silky. About how to order qualificative words coming before a noun, here is a mnemonic:

A lovely large old round brown Sweedish wooden bed

1 about the feeling (lovely)
    2 size (large )
    3 age (old)
    4 shape (round)
    5 colour (brown)
    6 origin (Sweedish)
    7 stuff (wooden)

Of course everyone may build up their own mnemonic by changing the words. For instance:
    A wretched tiny new square red Papuan paper umbrella.

Is there anyone out there who can tell if it is correct?
  • Hi Sandy,
    I've been fulfilled with joy by your mnemonic.
    To keep a living memory of you I built up this personal mnemonic:

Sandy is a cute little young slim tanned Limey fleshy girl.

Just thinking of you is enough to sort the predicates.
    No harm intended with Limey, I find it pretty funny.

Hope to meet with you somewhere sometime - or sometime somewhere at your best convenience.
    Yours aye,
    Gee
  • Mr. Gee,

I don't think I look like the person described in your fey mnemonic. Anyway I am not a Limey as I live and have always been living on the continental side of the Channel. But it doesn't matter at all how you represent me in your mind, the importance is what one "rêve" of. I intentionally use the French word "rêve" for dream because it straight on refers to "raving".

You seem to allude to my name by ending your letter with an "aye" for "always". My name is a pseudo I took from an English acquaintance, because I thought it was of good omen, aye (yes!), omen to attend the GG course.

Best regards, sir.
    Sandy Ayeomen.
  • Thanks a million to Sandy!

Now let's get back to the point.
    I just found out on a free site - a kind of easy English - something about the order of time and place adverbs or complements when they come at the end of a sentence.

According to what it said on that site, the adverbs or complements which are at the end of a sentence
    say most of the time "how, where, when" something happened.

The words order should be (1) how, (2) where, (3) when.

Examples:
    Luna concentrated (1) deeply (2) in the meditation room (3) last night.
    Horatio raved in his lab this morning.
    Archibald will go back home early.
    Gee won't never meet with Sandy anywhere anytime.
    See you somewhere sometime.

Now the pending matter is how those wretched words get arranged as they start the sentence!!!! Is it no hope left to learn it? I don't think so.
  • Correcting my previous tip: "according to what IS said..."
    Sorry!
  • Hey dude!

For sure, you're right! I read about your awful baffling puzzle on my screen three minutes ago.
    Mmkay!
    But 3 minutes ago on my screen I read about your awful baffling puzzle.
    And on my screen 3 minutes ago I read about your awful baffling puzzle.
    Mmkay?
    Don't split hairs, dude! You could go mad. Schizo! That'd be a bad-deserved fate for a guy casted as you.
    Mmkay?

Your pally bastard.
  • Hiya pal!

You're a marvel, pal! Cool, cool you are, pal.
    Good to you. No chance of going mad, you pal.
    As for me, it's too late yet.

By the way, did you visit Dr Loblaw in Basra?
    Or maybe you applied for a job at the Delavigne head office in SF yesterday and you were taking part in a contest about accents, mmkay?
    [He is as effective as hell, that Loblaw! In a jiffy he landed in the States, going through the tight shadowing of security services.]

Please sign in to leave a comment.