English Vocabulary

New Year

How do you celebrate New Year's Eve?

7 comments

• I collect firecrackers so as to make Molotov cocktails. I think of going to a powerful state of Middle-East at the New Year's eve. People are passing away by the hundreds there around for now. (But don't tell a soul, hey!!)
  • My famous ancestor would have sheer pleasure out of such a brave combattant. But I don't run true to type, I love such boring items like freedom and I'm always shocked by the fact that man learns nothing by his history, that there is probably nothing to learn because of a hopeless situation, without solution and no way out.
    Perhaps you gave way to one. At least one laughter a day keeps the doctor away.
  • In Italy they have a midnight meal, zampone, which is said to bring wealth next year. The more you eat, ...

In Japan many temples ring the bells 108 times and some Japaneese climb the Fujji to see the morning sun of the first of January come up.

In many countries people make New Year's resolutions to turn over an ney leaf.

The neighbours around us set off a lot of fireworks, they always have a party, they make toasts, they hug and kiss each other for good luck.

And what are you doing on New Year's Eve?

From Bolibar:
    How do you celebrate New Year's Eve?

• Among the hundreds of things I intend to do on New Year's, there are namely:
    1. Comply with Gwendo's advice of making a new resolution which will be the motto suggested by Bolibar, "one laughter a day keeps the doctor away."
    2. Prevent AhQ from exploding his Molotov cocktails.
    3. Keep an eye on my watch and a tight hold of my additional second hidden in my pocket so as not to miss the next year.
    4. Share out hugs and pogs with my fellow-GGusers of all kinds, all countries, all tribes, all colours, all sexes, all races, all beliefs, all accents provided they speak the melting-pot American English or pure English taught by the GymGlish.
    5. Look for my GG lesson of the day.
    6. Sing along with Horatio (thanks to my mp3) the "counting carol" - as said Sandy - stressing the seven swans a-swimming.
    7. Think of you, my reader.
    (I stop the listing because some things to do are too intimate actions to be made public.)
  • DEAR GEE:

I AM READING YOUR LIST AND THERE ARE SOME POINTS TO WHICH I AGREE WITH YOU. BUT, AS I COULD UNDERSTAND OF BOLIVAR´S QUESTION, BOLIVAR´S IS INTERESTED IN WHAT IT IS CUSTOMARY TO DO AT YOUR COUNTRY DURING THE NIGHT OF NEW YEAR´S EVE.

IN SPAIN IS TYPICAL DINNER WITH FRIENDS OR/AND FAMILY AND , AT MIDNIGHT,WHILE THE SOUND OF THE CLOCK CHIMES , EAT 12 GRAPES. IF YOU COULD EAT UP ALL THE GRAPES WITHOUT TO CHOKE WITH THEM BEFORE THE CLOCK STOPS RINGING , OVER THE NEXT YEAR WILL HAVE GOOD LUCK
  • Oh Villaverde, what an interesting custom you are letting me know. As I am more a Northerner than you are, I never heard of such custom. In my country, there are no grapes at all, if not imported. Now, tell us, did you choke before the twelfth strike of the chimes? I guess you didn't because you are still alive by now. For sure you are destined for the best of luck all along 2009. Make the best of it.
  • Hello again Bee,

First at all, thanks for you concern in my health. I am fine.

Eating grapes to twelve o´clock is just an habit. Most important is to celebrate the New Year with your beloved. In Italy it is customary to start the year by eating a spoonful of lentils because they say it brings you money. Perhaps in your country you dont´ have grapes but, tell me, there are lentils?

In any case, I am sure that all the people ( not imported which is the country) drink a lot during this night and the hangover of the next day is very similar

Please sign in to leave a comment.