English Vocabulary

1/1

I noticed that September 11th had turned 9/11 said "nine eleven".
May I date the day of today as 1/1 said "one one"?
Eagerly waiting for your answer.

8 comments

• Hi Gee, I would like to answer, but your question is so high-levelled, that I don't know where to get the right access to it. And it might have happened to many others just like that.

In my opinion nine eleven is exeptional, normally unusual to write or say dates, but everybody knows its meaning.
    I only know the following sayings:
    BE:14/10/98 (14 October 1998 or 14th October 98)
    AME: 10/14/1998 (October 14, 1998)

Please let us know your research results, concerning this exceptional 9/11 or 11/9.
  • Thank you for your care, Gwendo.

Dating 9/11 is more American than English even though British accept it, as we do. As you said it isn't a general rule.
  • Us Brits would say 'the first of the first'. I don't think Americans would say 'one one' unless they were using the full date i.e. one one oh seven (1/1/07).
    The 'nine eleven' thing came about because of the exceptional event that occurred on that day. By and large most people wouldn't refer to the date 12th June as 'six twelve' unless something particular happened to it.
  • I was flabbergasted at seeing that Brian Jones dropped by to make the point with his high-up British competence. Be Brian thanked.

By the way, Brian, I for one wouldn't have kicked up a fuss about tea or coffee.
  • Good question, Gwendo. Let's wait for Brian's answer, if any. In the mean time, I'd like to tell you that the everyday langage doesn't always stick to stiff grammar rules.
    For instances:
    - Who said that? - It's me. (me is subject, isn't it?)
    - Who was the first? - Me (I is also correct, I think.)
    - Gwendo and I were puzzled. (I = the perfect subject)
    - Gwendo and me were puzzled. (I think this form is more frequent in the everyday speech.)
    We British would say 'the first of the first'.(How nice !!!) is of course closer to stiff grammar rules.
    "Us Brits would say 'the first of the first'." (I'd like to be the first of the first on every day of the year to be free to tell it!)
    I just want to point out that Brian said 'Brits', not 'British', which is showing that his speech style is rather informal. That's why "Us Brits" seems to me more appropriate than "We Brits".
  • Yep, Gee (and Gwendo), I was being informal, 'we' works perfectly well.
    Sometimes I use 'us' to mean 'me', as in:
    Give us a hand, will you?
    or in proper Brian Jones speak:
    Could you kindly give me a hand, please? There's a good chap.
  • Plurale majestatis?

Please sign in to leave a comment.