English Grammar

to have sb do sth - to have sb done sth

Good morning everyone! I would like to ask for help!

I got back the following sentence as an error:

Luna asked Icarus to have the poncho ship to her. The GG Computer preferred "to have the poncho shipped to her".
As I read, both forms can be used to express the fact of wanting or forcing someone to do something. What is the difference between these constructions?
CW

15 comments

• The poncho couldn't ship anything, hey, Gwendo.
    Don't mistake the subject of an action for an object undergoing
    it.

To my mind, what you put as a headline to this topic should have been written this way:
    to have/make somebody do something - to have something done (by somebody)
  • From Gee:
    The poncho couldn't ship anything, hey, Gwendo.
    Don't mistake the subject of an action for an object undergoing
    it.

To my mind, what you put as a headline to this topic should have been written this way:
    to have/make somebody do something - to have something done (by somebody)

• It's always seriously helpful to read your statements.
    Thanks for the headline correction, you are right!

1. to have somebody do something
    2. To have something done by somebody

These examples are given by GG to illustrate Nr. 1:

Bruno had Icarus check last year's figures.
    Horatio had the test monkeys drive him around in the city.

If we replace the second half by our shipping item it would be:
    Horatio had the test monkeys ship it (the poncho)to him. Why not?

If I correctly understand your remarks its more a passive voice: "the poncho shipped to her". Like
    "Luna asked the test monkeys to have Horatio driven around in the City" a double structure due to the additional main phrase "Luna asked..."

Examples from GG to illustrate the construction Nr. 2 (Passiv voice?)

"She had her tickets booked" (the tickets were booked)
    "I had everything taken care of by the gardener." (Everything had been taken care)

Thanks for your helping hand and sympathetic ears.
    CW
  • Impressive, Gwendo. Exhaustive explanations illustrated by examples. Let's a cheer go up, you managed to have that grammatical structure down to a science.

Additional note (for rookies only):
    to have something down to a science = to be expert at something.
    In a similar way:
    to have something down to a fine art = to be expert at something.
    Just a shade of meaning makes the idioms out from one another. Is it a knowledge at stake, then say science; is it a skill, I'd say fine art.

[CW]
  • You must be a today's incarnation of one of the members of those illustred circles, des salons d'autrefois (ou sont les neiges d'antan?), who enjoyed the finesse of philosophical and linguistic problems during long nights with absinthe, la fée verte, and so on. Perhaps Beaudelaire, les fleurs du mal, Mallarmé, Rimbaud ... or Verlaine: "les sanglots longs du violon blessent mon coeur d'une longueur monotone"... fine art.
    I must apologize for the french quotes, please, do view that more leniently than before!
    CW
  • I can see you are a sharp connoisseur of French litterature, Gwendo. I am staggered to read all you say about the customs of writers in the 19th century.

Never apologize for a 'French quote' you tell me, you wouldn't even apologize for a 'French kiss' the favour of which you'd do me, be it intentionally or inadvertendly.
    I needn't to be lenient at all, it's rather you who should. I am so much overfamiliar.

By the way, did you sing the counting tale along with the Delavigne staff in the coach? Bottles of whisky or outdated absinthe? Mind you don't fall yourself down the wall as you're getting as drunk as a Delavigne's lord. ('lord' because for sure not peon)

Have an enjoyable S!(*)

[CW]
    -------------
    (*) That S escaped from a TGIS (of yours, if not of the GG).
    [CS:
    ° You may find beautiful (beau) the broad forehead of Baudelaire. That's not enough to put it into his name.
    ° The word French, be it a name or adjective, would you like it or not, deserves an uppercase, just as German and any other country name or their inhabitants'.
  • Thanks for the correction, (or corrections?), Gee. I'm always ravished by your abundant vocabulary which takes me a lot of work to look it up in my dictionary.
    There are many compounds with French: French bread, French fries, French stick, French toast, all of them delicious food. Consequently a French kiss must be a chocolate marshmallow (Negerkuss, Mohrenkopf), that small cream-filled sponge cake covered with chocolate (everyone gets what he really wants).
    Besides: I wonder if Belgium has a famous literature or philosophy: What kinds of oeuvres did you read at school in these categories?
    CW

CW
  • You are abroad? In inner Asia perhaps? Because you wrote before me but later.
  • Dearest Gwendo, the one and only livening up this forum,

There is something badly made in this place, it's the clocks. To post the time, they use the standard way English/American tell the date. I find it illogical to go from the month to the day and eventually to the year, but it's normal as we are supposed to get the habits of English speakers, be that habits good or quite bad.
    About the time in the day, it is worse! The system ignores the first hour of the day, which is usually counted as zero, and being still lagging behind on the former day, it points it as 12:xx AM, something that doesn't exist at all on earth. It should be written 00:xx ; midnight as 00:00. That blur keeps going up until a so-called 12:59 AM included!! (for 00:59). Moreover the system doesn't mention which time is at stake. Is it the UTC (Universal Time Coordinated) which is more or less the same as GMT? Is it the time of SF? or our CET (Continental European Time)? As you are so keen on abbreviations, Gwendo, I understand you are a bit lost when there aren't any.

About French kiss, it is when you deeply play with your tongue inside the mouth of your partner. That expression is English, not French at all, because French people are more of doers than talkers. (Is it true? or is the opposite true?) If you like chocolate, I'd eat a Mohrenkopf before sharing a French kiss with you, Gwendo.

If Belgium had had so many famous writers and philosophers, you would know them. The fact is that famous Belgian artists and philosophers most often emigrate to Paris and a few people know there are Belgian.

Please sign in to leave a comment.