English Grammar

to have sb do sth - to have sb done sth

Good morning everyone! I would like to ask for help!

I got back the following sentence as an error:

Luna asked Icarus to have the poncho ship to her. The GG Computer preferred "to have the poncho shipped to her".
As I read, both forms can be used to express the fact of wanting or forcing someone to do something. What is the difference between these constructions?
CW

15 comments - page 2

• Correct me please:... and a few people know THEY are Belgian.
    [FURTHER CW]
  • Only to know the current time I would like to draw this line. Lost in translation without abbreviation.
  • Corrections is not the same as correction, corrections are more a punishment than an act to make something more accurate than before.
    I hope, Gwendo, you are well at not too punished, stooned, quartered, feathered and taredby somebody. I'm your true friend!
  • Hi Samson,
    I wouldn't correct you twice because I don't want you to get the correctionS you were hinting about Gwendo.
    But one correction will do.

Could you explain down here how you could figure out that Gwendo be "stooned"?
    In my opinion we couldn't even imagine she could be "stoned" because, primo, Gwendo was not listed as passenger of the last Friday night bus journey when the Delavigne staves drunk so much that they all got stoned; secundo, Gwendo is a fair German citizen, and as long as we know her for talking down this forum, she is not a Muslim adulteress who might be stoned on the central square of Tehran.

If I were in Gwendo's shoes, I wouldn't trust right on a "true friend" whose imaginary is inhabited by so many awfull kinds of "corrections"!

LOL if you can!
    CW
  • The problem here is not wanting or forcing, but simply the tense; not ship (present tense) but shipped (past participle).
    He has the work done by someone else. (do, did, done)
    She has her speeches written by an expert. (write, wrote written)
    I asked you to have the Easter eggs hidden in the garden. (hide, hid, hidden)

From Gwendo:
    Good morning everyone! I would like to ask for help!

I got back the following sentence as an error:

Luna asked Icarus to have the poncho ship to her. The GG Computer preferred "to have the poncho shipped to her".
    As I read, both forms can be used to express the fact of wanting or forcing someone to do something. What is the difference between these constructions?
    CW

• In spite of your gracious help in that case it remains still difficult for me to choose the right construction and I'm likely to do that error again. Hopefully the big light will go on after some more reviewing your statements. And if not the big light at least the penny would drop.

Please sign in to leave a comment.