English Idioms

"Ticket"

I heard these expressions "you have a ticket" or "that's the ticket!" to express the idea that somebody is willing to or something is allowed (to go out with you, to dicuss a matter, to be open, etc.) Do you know more about this idiom and its meaning? I like these figures of speech with "ticket" and I want to use the idiom correctly.

3 comments

• Hello Hortence,

"that's the ticket" is an oldfashioned Britisch English informal expression to say that everything is just right or something is just what is needed. (D'après Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary).

"Just the ticket": = Just the job. (informal) Exactly what is needed in a particular situation. In Germany and Austria: "Passt!" , "Passt schon!", "Passt perfekt!"

It's tickets for the team that loses = It's the end.
  • You've got the ticket. → You're right. It's just the right thing.
    That's the ticket. → That's what is required.
    Just the ticket. → Exactly what is needed./as Samson said, according to the context, "just the job"

As the verb to get, I find the noun ticket is a word for all occasions.
    It comes in so many idioms, mainly in informal language.
    To get a "ticket idiom" into your active vocabulary, you could practice what I called somewhere sometimes a squirrel cage session. You say for example "Your skirt suits you right. That's the ticket!" several times in a row on our own, as if a squirrel made a cage rotate. The expression will soon get into your everyday vocabulary.

That's the hot ticket. → the fad thriving at the moment.
    A big ticket something; a big ticket house/car/trip/item... whatever → (something) very expensive
    Zakkur ran in the election on the nationalist Balad ticket. (by American Journalist Joanna Chen)

More at
    http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/ticket
    and much more via "ticket idioms" thrown in your search engine box.
  • Great! Thank you all!

Please sign in to leave a comment.