English Vocabulary

Is Gymglish dictionary tripping?

The Broken Bicycle (Scene 1)
Is the bike Kevin has plans for a Raleigh or a Harley?
I’m afraid GymGlish screwed up.
As a result, their dictionary is mixed with the « clutch » and the « shifter ».
Clutch or shifter, does it make a difference? Let me try an explanation. To do this, let’s speak first automotive :
In Europe, not all cars but the chunk don’t feature any automatic drive. They most often are equipped with a manual transmission, like some small Japanese cars . So they have a third left pedal witch controls the clutch. Drivers must clutch when they shift. The shifter is manipulated in order to control the gear box.
A motorcycle features also a clutch. But a bicycle doesn't.
On a bicycle the gear shifting mechanism for shifting the chain from one size of sprocket wheel to an other is the derailleur. A bicycle may have one or two derailleurs : one is located in the middle of the rear wheel, the second one (optional) in the axis of the crank.
Eventually, Kevin is right : the bike has more than one shifter. This plural intrigued me, so that I requested the help from the GymGlish dictionary. But the translation should have had nothing to see with a clutch.

crank = pedalier
derailleur = of course you know what it is
shifters = manettes de dérailleur
clutch = embrayage
gear box = boite de vitesse
shifter = levier de vitesse
to shift = changer, passer les vitesses
to shift down = rétrograder (boite manuelle)
to kick down = accélérer à fond pour rétrograder (boite auto)
sprocket wheel = pignon, engrenage, roue dentée

3 comments

• I almost forgot it but now it’s gonna drive me crazy. Each time I download my dictionary, I see it still features this bullshit.
    I’m stubborn about this point : a shifter is not a clutch!

There's nobody from the GymGlish staff to update that stuff?
    It would be good, I guess.
    I thing so.
  • I thinK so.
    Being demanding about a dictionary, I should pay attention about my own spelling.
    I need some sleep!
  • From Jean Pierre:
    I almost forgot it but now it’s gonna drive me crazy. Each time I download my dictionary, I see it still features this bullshit.
    I’m stubborn about this point : a shifter is not a clutch!

There's nobody from the GymGlish staff to update that stuff?
    It would be good, I guess.
    I thing so.

Hello Jean Pierre. I'll look into this immediately. Also, please refrain from using foul language on this forum. I certainly do appreciate your passion about shifters though.

Thanks

Please sign in to leave a comment.