English Vocabulary

AS A MATTER OF FACT

Dear all,

My grammar is not as well as I wanted. In my today´s lesson I had had this mistake:

Polly : Look Susie, just because I'm not from Europe doesn't mean I'm uncultured. As a matter of fact, I have gone (the correct answer is went) to the theater just yesterday.

Wat is the meaning of "as a matter of fact"? Is the same that "in fact"? "truly"? "Really"? When do you use it?

Many thanks in advance

3 comments

• "Yesterday" is a special time in the past which demands the past tense: went.
    "I have gone" means that you are still there, because the present perfect is used to indicate that an action began in the past and is still ongoing or is still relevant for the present.
    The fault has nothing to do with the expression "As a matter of fact".
    But if you are interested in the idiom:
    As a matter of fact can be used in two different ways:
    1. to add a comment to something you have just said. (by the way)
    2. to disagree with something that somebody has just said.(= actually): 'I suppose you'll be leaving soon, then'. - 'No, as a matter of fact I'll be staying for another two years'.

Not to confound with 'in a matter of fact' which means "unemotionally".

CW
  • Thank you very much for your help. I will note down your tips for not falling into errors in the next lesson
  • From VILLAVERDE:
    Dear all,

My grammar is not as well as I wanted. In my today´s lesson I had had this mistake:

Polly : Look Susie, just because I'm not from Europe doesn't mean I'm uncultured. As a matter of fact, I have gone (the correct answer is went) to the theater just yesterday.

Wat is the meaning of "as a matter of fact"? Is the same that "in fact"? "truly"? "Really"? When do you use it?

Many thanks in advance

Please sign in to leave a comment.