Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

What else after LEVEL 5

Hi,

I am just wondering when we arrive until LEVEL 5, there is some lessons after?

Thanks all team for good job.

regards,

Maroine

8 comments

• Allow me to jot down are more common article about the hereafter after level 5 on a current occasion. There is life after 5.x.

Eureka! Forgive me. Since last week I reached the ultimate rate 5.5 in all relevant columns (listening, reading and grammar) , I have urges to show it off! Please, my dear friends, forgive me.

I started with GymGlish four months ago (my ratings back then were: grammar 5.5, oral 4.7, reading 4.8) and now I have accomplished 5.5/5.5/5.5. Isn’t that something?? I AM A GENIUS, AM I NOT? My vocabulary is not that impressing yet (pathetic 4.0, started at 3.0) – albeit a significant progress. If I was able to open a bottle of champagne via internet, I would - to let you all participate in my success. Don’t take my immature banter here too serious. Even if I’m am rated “5.5” I still have to improve a lot. I'm sure there are lot more GG users which are rated 5.5.

And my real weak point is my vocabulary. I have still a long way to go.

The day I can watch “Hamlet” in full length and understand EVERYTHING, I’ll be in heaven!

On that note, allow me to convey a personal recommendation to everybody who wants
    to enjoy Shakespeare in a sweeping performance and practise a more poetic English alike:
    “Hamlet” with Kenneth Brannagh of 1995 – a great DVD. Usually, I’m not the one
    who praises movies light-mindedly – but I consider this masterpiece as one of the
    best ten movies of the past century. Some critics reproach Kenneth Brannagh of being
    too vain sometimes and putting himself to the foreground – and of a tendency to exaggerate - but I dare to say these are some of the merits that makes this movie that extraordinary.

I’m sure Shakespeare himself would have enjoyed this performance very much. (BTW, the name “Horatio” seems to emanate from Hamlet. Horatio is the faithful, loyal friend of Hamlet – such as Horatio Olere is it to Bruno)

I know, some look forward to Shakespeare like to a root canal work at the dentist – and once I did the same. But it is a matter of who performs Shakespeare. For me, watching Kenneth Brannagh as an actor is always an thrilling experience and a great supplement to the GymGlish lessons.

It is favorable to choose movies which are dialog-based, that is to say which content and plot relies mainly on dialogs, not on action or pictures. There are
    prodigious and ingenious movies which don’t have much dialogs – but for the sake of learning they are not the best choice.

Pardon for the long article and my unjustified boast.
    Cordial regards
  • Congratulations to your awfully good score. Cheers to that(with champagne)! I'm still far away from it.
    And thanks for the hints to that Hamlet edition on dvd with Kenneth Brannagh whom I never heard of till now. I will give it a try!

The best Shakespeare performance I ever saw was produced by Peter Brooks, some years ago. But it wasn't the dialogues, it was the pictures which impressed me very much, the coulors, the costumes, which created that unforgettable atmosphere of the marvellous.
    But at that time I felt no necessity to study the English language. Today I would pay more attention to the dialogues.
    (CW)
  • Sorry: it was Peter Brook (*1925), who also produced the films "meetings with remarquable men" and "the conference of the birds" not Peter Brooks (*1938), the Professor of Comparative Literature.
  • Oh, yes, I know. Peter Brook is very well-known for his movie „Lord of the Flies“ of 1963. It was a an enactment which was very close to the original novel by William Golding. For the contemporary TV and movie audience, it might appear quite tranquil, sedate – but in fact it conveys the message of the author much more faithfully than any other movie production does –especially the one of 1989.

Well, Kenneth Brannagh’s “Hamlet” is appropriate both for a demanding audience with an artistic pretence and a broad audience. But why not?

BTW, I noticed you used the spelling “dialogue”, which is by far better then my american-colloquial “dialog”. I am apt to mix British and American spellings.
  • I've forgotten something. Since you added a “CW“ as the official hint that you don’t mind to be corrected, allow me to make a proposal:

You wrote: “the best Shakespeare performance I ever saw…”

I’d rather write “..the best Shakespeare performance I’ve ever seen..”. The present perfect is more appropriate here. Firstly, because of the keyword “ever”, which is a hint for the present perfect in most cases, and, what is more compelling, because you are expressing a potential action which might have occurred several times in the past (for example: “I have seen this movie several times”.) Generally, the present perfect is used for (1) actions which occurred or might have occurred at an unspecified time in the past (“I have seen this movie several times”, or “..I have ever seen…”) or (2) for uncompleted actions from the past till now (“I have been studying for five years.”). In your case, the first case (1) applies.

This are rules so far. Last but not least, “..I’ve ever seen...” sounds familiar in native ears.

On that note, I have to correct myself, too:
    "Even if I’m am rated “5.5” I still have to improve a lot" is not
    correct. I'd rather write:
    "Even though I'm rated 5.5, I still have..."
  • ...and sorry again, I did another mistake (how embarrassing for a guy with a grammar level of 5.5)
    "..don't mind being corrected..." is better
    One should think before acting...
  • I'm filled with admiration for those people who reach the top 5.5 in a 4 months time!
    To enjoy a Shakespeare play in original text, as it was performed in the Globe in the early 17th century - and as it is still performed by now everywhere, be it by the students of Cambridge University on their annual tour around Europe - I take the precaution of reading the text beforehand. My hubris doesn't cheer me up to the point of going there absent-mindendly.

But this is not what is pushing me into coming on here down.
    It's the comparison Rodia made between the laboratory operator of the Delavigne Corp. and the trustful confidant friend of Hamlet. I think the charaters, apart from being each a strong support of their mentor, Bruno or Hamlet, don't look so much like each other. It's true that the origin of both is unknown. But one is the confidant of a prince, whereas the other deals with monkeys in his stinking lab.

Without Rodia's hint, I would never have seen the connection. That made me pond over to find out that Horatio could come from Latin "orare", to speak. And Oléré (with acute stress on each e) could come from Latin verb "olere", to have or exhale a smell. And with an exotic name like Horatio Oléré, the man speaks in an exotic way. Just as did Peter Brook's actors in a multiracial cast. When he settled down in Paris in the late 60ies he started directing mainly in French but his theatre casts were made of comedians from different countries with multicoloured accents. So is also the Delavigne Corporation cast.

In the same way shouldn't we search the other characters of the fapous SF perfume company?
    Thank you for reading.
    What does that grab you?

[CW]
  • Oooh, my God, Gee. Please, my dear friend, don't get wrong, I'm appreciating your concern in some way. I expected you would response something like this, but, frankly, I hoped, you wouldn't. Please, my dear friend: I was merely expressing a casual comparison. And please, I didn't intent to lead an endless discussion about this topic. I didn't meant it as a serious topic and I'm neither in the mood nor do I have the time nor I am able to discuss this topic endlessly. It was a casual remark. Please consider, that not everybody has the intention to discuss every trifle in great detail. Please feel free to discuss this topic with somebody else, OK? Please accept it.

Please sign in to leave a comment.