English Vocabulary

flood - float

I wonder if these two words have a common root. In German we can say: Licht (light) flutete durch das Zimmer. (flood) In English they prefer float:
The sounds of piano playing floated from the open window.
Where can I find the etymology of the words. Do you have some hints for me?
Thanks in advance.

14 comments - page 2

  • favor de enviar las clases desde de principiante ya no entiendo la ultimas clase que me enviaron y si tienen plases con pronunciacion mejor gracias
  • Gwendo, and all other young girls and boys around here – follow Gee – and mock him not!

    You called youself a 'nerd', Gee. The last thing you should do is to slam yourself, because: I'm sure you do have your own qualities.
  • Ooh, Gee, apologizes are not always what they seem to be.
    If I were you, and I was asked humbly and modestly by another
    fellow-learner to explain one my sentence to him, I wouldn't expect an apologize either. Flattering another person is nothing you have to be sorry for.
  • Correction:
    Well, I’ve never learned Latin or any other language, which uses an upperscore to indicate
    a stretched vowel, and, up to NOW, I’ve never heard of it. It might be embarrassing, but
    better ask than remain “stupid”. Thanks for the explanation.

    The syntax of the sentence was confusing to me. But now it’s clear:
    "I wrote ‘oo’ instead of the ‘o’ coming with an upperscore in OE."

    Have a nice evening.
  • Sorry, Uderzo, I was not used so far to tell or hear "apologize" for a formal defense in speech or writing. Thank you for telling.
    Probably my usual speech is not formal enough.

Please sign in to leave a comment.