English Idioms

Don't nailed yourself in a shut box

I heard this expression for the first time today. This is a strong image, isn't it? The conversation was about persons who have their agendas and opinions already arranged. Does somebody has ever heard about this expression?

Information and correction will be appreciated.

10 comments

• I can't grammatically understand your statement.
    I quite know what a shut box is, even in the figurative.
    The nail is that pointed piece of steel hammered into the box cover to shut it fast. To nail is the verb.
    I'd rather tell it this way:

Don't get yourself nailed in a shut box.
  • Or maybe: Don't nail yourself in a shut box.

And according what I've just read in only one dictionary, to nailed could be a verb in slang, going for to nail in the figurative.

So your slang idiom could be heard: Don't nailed yourself in a shut box!

Of course, Hortence, I need to get used to your cleverness.
    ref. to http://www.answers.com/topic/nail
  • Thank you for your help. I do not have a very good English, it is possible that I didn't wrote it down properly.
  • Contrary to what you said, your English is quite advanced for you've taught us so many expressions yet. We only need to not be out at lunch as you speak, Hortence.

We needn't to hurry up to getting rid of such fertile an idiom. It gives way to so many rewarding developments.

Just this one today:
    As you know, English is a so flexible and swayed language that it cannot be nailed in a shut box.
    No sooner than last night, the lame Philip limping back from heaven as he had been unable to fly with his sole L (*), was told : "Dude, if you can't get a girl tonight, just go home and nail oneself." (sic**)
    As you guess, masturbation is not Philip business; so he went on looking farther.
    This morning, Philip was asked: "Did you fuck a girl last night?" - "Yeah, I nailed her to the floor..." he answered.

(*) Only French speakers of your kind, Hortence, are able to catch it.
    (**) It's up to you to appreciate or not how wide are Philip's open relationships. For anything he wouldn't nail(ed) himself either in the shut box of grammar, or the shut box of art of living is sex affairs.
  • From all the new words I learnt from you along the time and especially this week (lame, bilge, galore, etc.), three precious one have stood in my mind: swayed, lust, climax, scrumptious. (This cannot be the fruit of any intellectual or physical masturbation experience.) In my mind, your word list underscores the “sporting blood” that flowed in you at the apex of your libido. However, no one of them could tell me what, in hell, the “L” stands for in your reply.
  • I only mean to help, not to bother.
    If you had read the latest Funky Friday story, Hortence, you'd know that Philip got sent back from heaven for having only one L in its name. That's a least Gee's interpretation.
    If you must know, the beings living in heaven are heavenly angelical. Angels have 2 wings that allow them to fly. In the pictogram drawn onto the heaven entrance, there are 2 wings well balanced, one on both sides of the drawing. That means that only earthlings having lived angelically are let in.
    As you guess, Philip didn't live in a so much angelical way.
    That's why he got given away by the only L he had in his name.
    That's also why he came back to earth with limping.
    I presume in Montreal as everywhere else where French is spoken, most flying objects have to be fit with at least DEUX AILES. With only one AILE you can just crawl like a lame bird.

Every illusion has to use its LL to become happiness (Didn't you know that French idiom: Le bonheur est à la portée des ailes de l'illusion.)
    You needn't worry, Hortence. As you weren't fit with LL in your name, you'll be able to climb to heaven with singing like a whirlybird. (Ask Gee, I guess he knows how to manage that climbing.)
  • It's very kind of you to have enlighted me on this matter. I've been slow off the mark. It must be said in my defence that it was a bit far fetched though. I was thinking of Philip more as a colourful rooster (a bird with useless wings, nailed in the henhouse) than as a lame bird. Anyhow, no need to climb to heaven right now, I prefer to walk on air: it's springtime outside and the life is waiting for me!

It was nice to chat with you. I hope we will meet somewhere else in the Forum.

Tourlou!
  • It's me again...

I looked in the dictionnary and a whirlybird is an "hélicoptère". Did I miss something there too?
  • Philip, the colourful rooster, nailed in the henhouse, that's the best picture to summarize the topic.

Whirlybirds, lame birds,
    double L or funky hell
    we don't need all that jazz, do we Hortence?
    because there is no time like the present,
    because there is no place like our earthly paradise,
    but definitely "to nailed" never existed so far
    contrary to what I said formerly.

Please sign in to leave a comment.