English Idioms

Impossible traduction.

Qui aurait l'amabilité de traduire en français l'expression suivante:
"You crack me up Icky, Bicky, banana fanna fo ficky, fee fie foe Ficky".
Merci.
Luvi

5 comments

• Willy, the security guard in charge of law and order in this place, won't appreciate your first line, Luvi. To try and soften him up, it's necessary your first line be translated so that everyone could understand what you mean. Here we are:

Who would be so kind as to translate into French the following sentence:

As you hint in the headline of this thread, Luvi, such translation would be unsuitable for any understanding, unless you take a very wide liberty in building a similar play on words in the other language.
    The expression lines up a lot of rhymes, onomatopoetic sounds; it's a musical play on words. I can't remember how to call that.
    I'd just analyse the words for the case someone would like to create something that kind in another language.

You crack me up: that's wonderfully informal to get started in a joking tone.
    Icky : short for Icarus
    Bicky : Icky with a b to call up a bickie (small cake) or a bicker (squabble)
    Banana fanna : 'to go banana' means to go crazy. Banana fanna means fan of going banana.
    The 7 last words begin with f. Such alliteration you find also in French poetry of the 17thC.
    Besides it reminds me a funny song where words are more as musical items than signs of sense:
    Ricky Icky Bo Bicky banana fanna fee fo ficky
    It's emotional, not rational.
    Now, Luvi, if you are a poet and a musician, you may create similar phrase in French. But shall it be translation? or re-creation?
  • Gee didn't finish his work yesterday. Let's do it.
    fo ficky, fee fie foe Ficky".
    for foolish icky,
    fee (fine) fie (fiscal year) foe (adversary of) foolish Icky.

What does that make spring to your mind Luvi?
    Luvi yu vee loo lee vee.
  • Thanks very much indeed. I found this sentence very funny but I was a little bit amazed to find it in a GymGlish lesson.

Luvi
  • Gee is right. NO french! :)

Willy.
  • Neither french, nor French, but what looks like English, as far as possible.

Please sign in to leave a comment.