English Vocabulary

not already signed up?

What could that be? My e-card program asked me that question.
I only know "sign in" in this context.

27 comments - page 2

• But a nerd will hand you over a charge-free reply, Gwendo.
    Free ... just because not a scrap head of your own country. (lol ... the nerd is laughing out loud)

TO SIGN IN
    to sign in (intransitive verb): to make a record of arrival by signing a register, or punching a time clock.
    NB A time clock is that kind of machine that stamps job's starting and quitting times on the personal card of an emplyee.
    Ex: As soon as Gwendo reached the reception desk she signed in to make sure no scrap head raided her room.

to sign in (transitive verb) : to record arrival of someone or return of an object (originally by signing, nowadays maybe with an electronical system).
    Ex: the cleck at the library had failed to sign in the return of my books, that's the reason why I got an undeserved call to order.

TO SIGN UP
    to sign up (intransitive verb): to join an organization or to accept an obligation by signing a contract (handwriting or electronical sign).
    Ex: Not already signed up for a second two-year subscribing at GymGlish?
    As I had been on the dole for 2 years yet, I signed up at the army.

to sign up ( transitive verb): to induce someone to sign a contract or join an organization.
    Ex : Philip signed me up as retailer of the Delavigne's products.
  • Eahm, Gee: It was "scrap heap", not scrap head.

Gee, please, she/he was ironic when saying "You can say that again!
    If they hadn't been here, I don't know what I would have done. I
    hope they'll never really going to leave us."`?

Don't you see, Gee? We were bothering.
  • Gee, wake up. This is the real world, with real people. And not everybody wants to be lectured when aksing a simple question.
    When I ask for the way to the station, I don't want to get
    lectures about the history of railway. That's the point, Gee!
  • Hi Gee, Bluemountain.com never asked me before to sign up sth, only to sign in and out. (Is it the same as to log in and out?)

Albert's real world seems to be very small, but sufficient for simple questions and simple answers.
    That's great, the history of the railway. Some of my friends brought up small precious containers which were a gift by their ancestors, engineers of the Bagdad-Railway formerly under construction.
    CW

From Gee:
    Some workers must sign in as they come in to work. As a matter of fact they don't actually sign in, they check in electronically.
    Travellers are used to sign in at the reception desk of the hotel at arrival.
    In my dictionary, they say that sign in is also used to mean hand back a book to the library or something that kind.

If I get hired by a company, I say that I sign up/ they say they sign me up.
    Some years ago I signed up at the GymGlish.

About your e-card program, Gwendo, is it that you could sign up for something?

• Hi you both, the advanced!

Around that core of truth just a bit exaggeration to train our language muscles!

From Uderzo:
    Gee, please, she/he was ironic when saying: You can say that again!
    If they hadn't been here, I don't know what I would have done. I
    hope they'll never really going to leave us.

Don't you see, Gee? We were bothering.

• Ha ha! There is never a dull moment when Uderzo is around.
    Especially when he is bothering to tell his views, he feels like telling anything whatsoever.

But Gee is a crank nerd. Let him talk on his own. You needn't bother to listen to his hair-splitting prattling ... ding ...ding... a bell is ringing... in a thick skull (the one of a nerd). That's it!
  • Wow, oh my God. It's quite flattering for a relative rookie, a recruit
    to GymGlish to be regarded as an advanced learner who can give
    advices to other learners around here!!

If my old Grandma heard it, she would be so proud of me
    (and she wouldn't believe it). My old English teacher would
    think: What kind of English course it that in which this nitwit
    can tell other folks anything about English? Sesame Street?
  • Hello You Uderzo!
    No doubt Gwendo has got a crush on you, Uderzo.
    So much that you are the only one here down coining new words, kind of "advices". People were giving advice so far, in one single word or in pieces as well.
    Tell me, Uderzo, how is your name uttered? Is it starting with a German U like in urdeutsch or with that wretched English sounding YOU?
    Anyhow it's funny to read you in this lonely forum.
  • Gee, why are you so upset?

The emotional way in which
    you are reacting proves that I may
    have touched a sensitive nerve.
    I'm sorry, I didn't meant to.

Please sign in to leave a comment.