English Grammar

word order - adverbs

How is it correct:

The trains run fairly regularly
The flames spread extremely quickly
I look forward very much to receiving your response.
or
I very much look forward to receiving your response.

The last phrase is proposed by my today's GG-lesson.

3 comments

• One of the hallmarks of adverbs is their ability to move around the sentence.
    You could find some ideas on these sites, Gwendo:
    http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/adverbs.htm
    http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/word-order/adverb-position

In your examples:
    fairly comes before regularly because fairly is modifying regularly - and not the opposite.
    same remark with extremely quickly - rather quickly - and so on
    I very much look forward complies with the compelled position of an intensifier adverb. Intensifier adverbs always come before the verb/adjective/adverb they are modifying.
    I was so much happy to read you.

Never forget, Gwendo: wise women and men always question any statement and try to verify them. So did the Greek Sceptics with their epokhĂȘ, so did Descartes by doubting, so did your fellow citizen Husserl by putting the statement between brackets and trying to look around for other possibilities.
    I hope you'll make some reservation about my say.
  • I have some reservations about your examples, I'm afraid I can't go along with you on that, because that's not quite what I have in mind:

We should make a few alterations to better understanding the problem, shouldn't we?

The trains run regularly. Why not: The trains regularly run.
    The flames spread quickly. Why not: The flames quickly spread.

Analogue to the GG example, cited by Gwendo: I very much look forward.
    *Does the length of the adverb play a role?
    *I very much look forward could be a fix expression (?)
  • I actually can't see where you don't go along with me, my dear.
    I said that adverbs have the ability to move around the sentence.
    That's a way to agree with your "trains regularly run" and "trains run regularly" as well.

About "very much looking forward" I think you may not tell it otherwise with the same words because intensifying adverbs always come before the word they are working on.

You advisedly ask whether the length of an adverb doesn't play a role on his position in the sentence. I wonder. Isn't it someone over there who knows?

Please sign in to leave a comment.