English Idioms

Who thinks he's the bee's knees

Not everyone can tell they are the bee's knees.
As our GGmate going by the nickname of "the bee's knees" told us some days ago, she is "bee's knees" because she is hard working.
I say "she" because any bee-worker is a female, as least I think so. I know that male bees, as soon as having had intercourse with the queen, are pushed away out of the hive and are doomed to die nearby.
So, only female bees have got knees.
As a logical implication, I must think that only women think they are the bee's knees. Since we, guys, have to bend the knee to that gals who think they are the bee's knees.

Hint for rookies: the bee's knees is informal for something extra, excellent, outstanding.
Someone who thinks he is the bee's knees thinks he a god's gift to mankind.

But, tell me, do bees actually have knees?

7 comments

• As you agree about only women being the bee's knees, you had had better headline your thread this way:

Who knows she is the bee's knees?

The answer is: a woman.

About myself, I'll tell you that my nickname is a metonymy. I'm not only the knees but the whole bee worker.
    See you,
  • I don't care the bees' knees. I couldn't care less whether these knees or their owner are/is female or male.
    I adore the honeybees because of their honey production in all the varieties; (Does the honeydue come from honeybees too?)
    And I like the secret of their dance with or without knees.
  • As questions are being asked about the knees (even though St.Johann doesn't care of) I'll tell what I know about knees of bees (even though I am nothing of an entomologist).
    Bees have got six legs and any of them is fit between the thigh bone (femur) and the shin bone (tibia) with a joint which is the knee, a knee not so complex as a human knee, but a joint anyway.

The expression "the bee's knees" is probably due to the pollen-baskets that are fit near the knees of the bee. (French idiom: "il a du miel dans les oreilles")

I wish St. Johann got his hair down swinging with the Bees Knees. But about his question about "honeydue" I confess I can't understand what he means. Just guessing it goes about what St. Johann needs to conquer his "Honey" or to go with her on a honeymoon.
  • Very interesting! But tell me Sandy, what is an entomologist?
  • Expecting a scientific answer from Sandy (the non-entomologist bee's knees about bees' knees), here are in the mean time some hints from a bee-worker.

ento- (word element from Greek): within, inner.
    molo: the catwalk
    gist: the core, the essence, the spirit

entomologist: gist within the catwalk.

Sandy said she wasn't entomologist. She hasn't the spirit for parading down the catwalk; since, she is a modest person, not a bee's knees showing off her knowledge.
    Though what she said about the bees' knees was perfectly true.
    As a conclusion, I think that some girls are entomogists without being aware of it.

(cw lol)
  • Let's stop laughing for a moment.
    Entomology is a branch of zoology that deals with insects.
    An entomologist is someone practising entomology, as a professional or as an amateur.

As a funny etymology is being displayed by our sis the bee's knees, here is mine, a bit more serious.
    It comes from Greek entomos (insect) and logos (speech, thus knowledge) via French entomologie.

It might be usefull for beginners we precise that the -gist of entomologist is pronounced [djist], whereas the gist (core, essence, spirit) is to be said [ghist]

So long, Gwendo!
  • You said, Sandy, that the etymology of entomology refers to Greek ἔντομος, entomos, insect. Beforehand that word means "that which is cut in pieces or engraved/segmented", hence "insect.

I realize, Sandy, that you are one of a kind for cutting things in pieces. Didn't you split hairs this afternoon? For sure, you are perfect at entomology - and at etymology as well.

Please sign in to leave a comment.