English Idioms

Fine by me.

Last July 4, Jones, Brian Jones, posted a call on the Delavigne Corp Current Events Club that lately started on the Delavigne blog. If you must know, the club is aimed at going topical with GGusers. As a first topic, Brian chose to call for opinion of everyone about the new internet anti-piracy laws. A huge amount of answers were being posted by GGusers who are used to illegally downloading music from the internet. Unfortunately all those subversive views were censored, purely and simply erased by the tight censorship ruling in the USA since the 9/11. So the thread went on showing up blank, blank, blank... indefinitely blank... except that a one and only comment by Hannah who managed to go through the censorship. Not flipping likely, as Hannah backed the idea that there is enough music available to be downloaded legally. I presume Hannah thought the common idea of the GGusers was to behave properly without breaking the law! Candid Hannah! Hence Hannah started her comment by "Fine by me."

Here do I get to the point. "Fine by me", idiomatic expression to let know the speaker agrees.
Up until now I had thought that expression would mean agreement, but after some second thought, somehow meaning "I agree though being disappointed". But it seems I was wrong.

That's fine by me. -> As for me it's OK.
Is "Fine by me" synonym of "Bear with me"?
I suppose "Bear with mee." rather means "You may count on me."

I'd be pleased to learn your opinion on that issue.
The best would be to display a few examples.
I thank in advance any help.

[CW]

2 comments

• Dear Gee,

I agree with you with the meaning of "fine by me" but I cannot find this idiom on my dictionnary to check this meaning. However, I have seen in my dictionary the idiom "bear with somebody". Phrasal verb= to be patient and wait while someone does something . Ex: If you will just bear whit me for a moment , I will find you a copy of drawings.

There is someone who can help???
  • That's great, VILLAVERDE.
    So the expressions aren't synonymous with each other.
    I've just found out sentences that are backing you up.
    If you'll just bear with me a minute (-> I ask you be a bit patient).
    Bear with me, I'm getting to the point.

To bear with = to put with
    Now I know that I have to bear with my wife. Yes indeed, sometimes I have to put up with her.

So long, dude.

Please sign in to leave a comment.