English Idioms

Dear sir or madam

Hello to you this rainy summer morning illuminated only by the gymglish lesson. But tell me please:
When do I have to write "To whom it may concern" instead of
"Dear sir or madam"?

10 comments

• If you address your letter with "To whom it may concern", that's because you don't know exactly the addressee, is it a man or a woman? Since, after writing "to whom it may concern", you probably start with "Dear Sir or Madam,".

Thank you for the rainbow.
  • hello I'm a "madam" and you can say dear madam I'm 52 years old and 'd want to sudy my English. Last year I travelled in USA (NY city and Colorado" and it was a wonderfull trip and I hope te return another time in this country. at the begining it was just a dram but this dram became a reality and i'm so haapy to do it. But I don't speak english fluently and really want to progress
    All my thanks
    If they're mistakesplease tell me
  • From nafnaf89:
    hello I'm a "madam" and you can say dear madam I'm 52 years old and 'd want to sudy my English. Last year I travelled in USA (NY city and Colorado" and it was a wonderfull trip and I hope te return another time in this country. at the begining it was just a dream but this dream became a reality and i'm so haapy to do it. But I don't speak english fluently and really want to progress
    All my thanks
    If they're mistakesplease tell me

• To Mrs nafnaf

Dear Madam,

I couldn't find anything that needed to be unclogged in your kind message. May I be so bold as to tell you that you should invert the figures of your age, just to make sure Philip Cheeter get in touch with you. Apart from that, dropping some letters, especially capital ones, swapping some others, that proves you are not too much uptight, I mean you're a good match.

Don't fail to call me for any clog that could prevent your tub to get dry or yourself to be wet, be it in Colorado mountains or in your NY city flat.

Joe the plumber (a true American boy)
  • "To whom it may concern“ is very good address.

But when I used it the last time, it didn't work.
    Recently, when I wrote a letter of complaint to a company,
    and started it with „to whom it may concern“ nobody reacted.
  • Of course it didn't work, Leo, because nobody on earth, mainly in a company, would like to be looked at as the one who is the culprit. That's why you should be more aggressive.
    Next time you have to lodge a complaint, address your complaint letter this way: "To the culprit who may be the cause of this complaint and who will sooner or later be tracked down".
    Then start with "Naughty boy or gal,"

Hope it'll help.
    Joe the screwball
  • Ooops, my God, Joe the Screwcall, didn't you notice the joke in my posting? It was a joke, humor, a check-in-tongue, fallen on infertile soil...and taken seriously.

Yes, it's hard, I should have added the emoticon, here it is

;-)

But don't be discouraged. Humor is a divine gift and was invented for everybody, also for the screwballs, who are willing to embrace it.
  • You'll be my mentor, Leo. As you said, I don't have an ounce of humor. But I am firmly resolute to follow your divine advice.
    Joe
  • Is that hodgedodge or hotchdotch, what you all were talking about?

Please sign in to leave a comment.