English Idioms

More bounce to the ounce

Title was not translated in my Gymglish lesson. And I don't understand what that title has to do with the article of increasing obesity in USA.
Do you?

6 comments

• <More bounce to the ounce> is an idiom meaning getting more for your money.
    The title of the lesson - that I can't remember getting - is probably a pun. An ounce is an ancient unit of weight. Body weight is generally given in pounds. But here there is the rhyme with bounce. A bounce has different meanings, notebly the volume, the space of a stuff, a body. You can give more bounce to your hair (more volume). Why not thinking that an obese can get a unit of bounce to a unit of weight? (one ounce per cubic inch? ha ha!)

That's all I can tell you, Shesha.
  • LOL Gee!Not so bad!I wonder what Shesha will think of your expertise.
  • Shesha might think I was talking rubbish.
    I should have vetted the saying before posting my tip.
    As I had second thoughts due to your line, Gwendo, I tried and checked the idiom on Answer.com.
    As a matter of fact, the idiom, according to the dictionary, is saying "more bounce FOR the ounce", instead of TO the ounce as I said going on Shesha's heels.
    American also say: (more) bang for the buck. Probably more trendy, as the buck is current whereas the ounce is out-of-date.

Apart from that, my hypothesis still stands up to scrutiny.
    The pun had "a double layer" if I may say so myself.
    Firstly, it used the words leaving their metaphoric sense in the idiom to stick back to their literal sense.
    Secondly, it replaced the proposition FOR by TO, as it goes in:
    There are 1.41 buck to the Euro.
    That car runs 30 miles to the gallon.
    That belly puts up a bounce to the ounce.

Gwendo, Shesha, do you fall for it?
  • I guess neither Gwendo, nor Shesha would fall for putting up a bounce to the ounce. They both are so slim as to parade up and down the catwalk.
  • But all GG-learners can get more bounce for the ounce (1) by coming round this forum.
    As The harder the fall, the higher the bounce,
    The harder the work, the happier the bounce.

(1) standard use of the idiom.
  • Due to an explanation I found in "Urban Dictionary", the expression "more bounce to the ounce" has more a "sexist" background and wellspring: If a woman is not fat or corpulent, but has relatively large breasts (compared to her slim figure), she has a "high" "breast-body relation" (sorry, stupid term): more "breast mass" compared to heir body weight.

"bounce" refers to large, jumping breasts and "ounce" is often used metaphorically as a synonom for "gram" as a small unit for the body weight.

Please sign in to leave a comment.