English Vocabulary

To be to

"To be to ", " must ", and " to have to " have the same maining. Yes or No ?

I must call my friend

I have to call my friend

I'm to call my friend

Those sentences are right, I think ?

3 comments

• I don't think so. I think these sentences don't like the same meaning. acording expression we use "must or have to". For example:
    I have to learn to English test tomorrow.
    vs I must go to home because it is going to rain.
    thank you!
  • Dear Asian buddy,
    Don't fail to enter the speaker's head to sometimes pick up the "must" or the "have to".
    If you have to learn because you have a test tomorrow, it's probably because the learning is not mandatory. You had better learn. It's a necessity due to your yearning for success.
    But I wonder whether I couldn't say "I must learn to be ready for the test" as the verb must here also expresses necessity. Just as they say:
    It's late, I must be going.
    My brother is in trouble, I must call him.
    It's hard work, you must be courageous.
    You must know that I am telling you that in all seriousmess.

I think the 3 sentences written by Wilptz are six of one and half of a dozen of the other. Don't you think so?
  • I also think the three sentences are right. Just grant them a period at their end because they all are single clause sentences.

Furthermore I think like you that they express the same meaning. They express an obligation. But I wonder whether there is not a shade of meaning that makes them out. If you leave the simple present tense, will the three of them still fit any situation?

Thank you for writing.

Please sign in to leave a comment.