English Grammar

I'd scared of getting beaten up

I don't understand the contraction : doest it mean "I would be scared of getting beaten up" I thought that "I'd " only expresses "I had" or "I would" and not "I would be".... So I could expect to read "I'd be scared of..." Can anyone tell me more about this ?

7 comments

• I'd scared =
    1. I had scared, which is gramatically correct.
    2. incorrect: (I would scared) In that case you should expect:
    I would scare, because would is followed by the infinitive and not by a participle.
  • "Scared" is a participe and must be preceded by the auxiliary " to have ". I'd scared is the past perfect.

Good evening

Wilptz
  • Mind you, marité. In your headline the verb scare is used as intransitive.
    To scare (v.i.) = to become frightened.
    You could use it as transitive verb as well:
    I had been scared of getting beaten up.

As Wilptz pointed it out, it is in the past perfect.
    [J'avais eu peur d'être battu(e)]
    Ex. As I had scared of getting beaten up when I had bumped into him last time, I shied away from his way today.

Just my feelings.
  • 'I'd have been scared..' or 'I'd been scared..' is the correct form depending on context..

Neither 'I had scared of getting beaten up' nor 'I would scared of getting beaten up' makes any sense..
  • The original 'passive' expression has lost its "be" and doesn't fit any grammatical construction. If the "d" were also lost, it would read as 'active'. "I would scare you", not as intended, "I would be scared by you".
  • I've been racking my brain about this and the first postings have bewildered me. I still don't know whether they're right or wrong.

As far as I know "to scare" means to "to frighten somebody else", that is it's an active action, not something that happens to me. Hence, in this case "scared" is the intransitive form, because it's me who might get beaten up. I don't know for sure, but meanwhile I think the original sentence has a typo in it.

"I'm scared of getting beaten up" would make perfect sense. Of course, "I had been scared" would also make sense, and so does "I would be scared".

But "I'd scared of getting sth." doesn't make any sense, no matter how many times I think it over.

What WOULD make perfect sense (not only grammatically) is:
    "I'd scared away the insurance salesman before he could ring the doorbell."
  • I agree about the fact that to scare is more common as a transitive verb. Galley-slaves were scared of getting beaten up if they didn't row on the beat.

However, connect to a pure English dictionary on line:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/scare

You can read
    to scare as v.intr.

"To become frightened: a child who scares easily."

Galley-slaves used to scare of getting beaten up.
    Oh yeah! They were scared a lot.

Please sign in to leave a comment.