English Idioms

Do you know where the expression 'O.K.' comes from?

I know it!! You?!

Peace Out!
Willy, The Security Guard (of the Delavigne Corp.)

39 comments - page 2

• From Willy The Security Guard:
    Hey!

Here is an other question !!!

Why do we call 'Scotch' sticky tape?

Willy

Could it be because at first "Scotch" sticky tape had adhesive only on the edges and the Scots have a reputation for being mean?
  • Congratulations Willy!
    The origin of this expression has given many of us the opportunity to express themselves. Do I dare to come along with another explanation? I do. The purpose of the forum is to enjoy ourselves, isn't it?
    The expression derives from the Greek words" Ola kala" meaning "all is fine"; everything is good.
    I have also heard that in the First World War, soldiers would report each night the number of deaths in the group. "OK" stood for "0 killed". I wish it were true for all the wars taking place all over the world at this very time...I would like to finish this message with "Peace In" rather than "Peace out". Anyway, peace to you all...
  • hum hum
    check my previous answer!
    Willy -

From Justin:
    I think I know the answer
    K.O. means ... Kills=O during the last world war
    It was sometimes a good news
    Do you agree?
    Am I wright?

• Hey!

Here is an other question !!!

Why do we call 'Scotch' sticky tape?

Willy
  • Hey Everyone !! (me again!)

According to my research, here is the explanation - Yeah Baby! Actually it seems that 'OK' comes from 'All Correct'. In the 19th century, there were some famous jokes consisting of acronyms and abbreviations (made up expressions with only the first letters and, most of the time, 'typing mistakes'_:

KY for 'Know Yuse' ---> No Use
    NS for 'Nuff Said' ---> Enough Said
    and... OK for 'Oll Korrect' ---> All Correct

And it seems that tks to a US election in 1839, the 'OK' became famous. Indeed, Martin Van Buren used this expression in his marketing campaign which could explain why 'OK' is so famous nowadays!

Thks to everyone for participating - I'm looking forward to an other 'quizz' !!! I am on it - Be patient!
    Peace Out (and Funky New Year!)
    Willy.
  • I think I know the answer
    K.O. means ... Kills=O during the last world war
    It was sometimes a good news
    Do you agree?
    Am I wright?
  • From Silky:

Could it be because at first "Scotch" sticky tape had adhesive only on the edges and the Scots have a reputation for being mean?

Who’d dare to tell anything after prominent Silky’s explanations?
    No one here on the face of the earth.

However if I might be so bold as to add something, that’s just to give some more details about the Scot who created the Scotch.
    The Scotch was born in the State of Minnesota in 1925 in a factory named Mad Magic Mastic.
    The CEO of Mad Magic Mastic Co was mad with hard work.
    He thought his workers were so much talkative at work that their productivity was dragging behind.

The first step in reforming the standard procedures going on at his company was to abbreviate its name in MMM and to manufacture a magic mastic to plug the mouth of talkative workers.

The second step occured in 1925 when Richard G. Drew, a young lab assistant, invented masking tape – an innovative step toward diversification of stopping talking at work and the first of many Scotch® Pressure-Sensitive Tapes.

The workers got inclined to prefer their mouth to be stuck with a tape sounding as their favourite whiskey than to be fulfilled with a tasteful mastic.
    That’s why at the end of the 8-hours silent working day the MMM workers come out of the factory singing:

A duck and a drake,
    And a halfpenny cake,
    With a penny to pay
    Our work of the day.
    A hop and a scotch
    Is another notch,
    Slitherum, slatherum,
    My whiskey right away.

P.S. Mind you. Use Scotch sticky tape everywhere but in Scotland. Wiki says that`Scotch' is in disfavor with Scottish people and is used primarily outside Scotland except in such frozen phrases as `Scotch broth' or `Scotch whiskey' or `Scotch plaid'.
  • Hi, Willy! There are now two of us knowing about it! Amy has shown she was kidding.
    I know the truth and besides, I’m sad at seeing Nisrinne getting deluded by the joking Kevin.
    That’s why I’ll disclose a small part of the truth. You’ll tell more, Willy ... or Flo! I wouldn’t steal you the last word.

Flo’s explanations are right. What a witty guy/gal (?) that Flo Sartoz!

OK, by 2 replacements of letters, become AC.
    The 3-letter word beginning with the A is All.
    The 7-letter word beginning with the C is Correct.
    That understandable expression making sense in the current English is: All Correct.
    Achieving in reverse the 2 replacements of letters, you get: Oll Korrect.

As Flo advisedly suggested, go up and climb the family tree of OK to find out where the ancestor “Oll Korrect” is perching.

Willy, as a matter of fact, with Flo we are 3 again knowing about it. But it won’t be long we are a crowd. Thank you, Willy, for starting the quizz.
  • The Guardian Angel

Silky proves my explanation is the right one.
    Life in heaven and life on earth are pretty much the same: same people, same stories, same language. Gods create humans in their own image and humans create gods in their own image, it’s fair’s fair.

It was indeed a very believer soldier in the Marne valley that got blessed by his god. He got seeing things (in this case hearing things). He heard from overhead angels saying OK (abbreviation of Oh Kaput). It was the very moment there was none killed in his squadron.
    He repeated the celestial song OK in his own appropriate meaning O killed (O = zero).

Everyone uses words as they suit them the best. The Greek mercenary in the squadron enjoying the O Killed said it again with his own plain words OK (from Ola, kalla = everything, nice things).
  • am really puzzled..allllllll these answers,but i think that kevin 's one is the more apropriate;)

Please sign in to leave a comment.