English Vocabulary

to take a leave of sb

"To take a leave":
Is this a very common or customary expression in general use for "to say goobye" or rather an official farewell?

4 comments

• Hi Lilian,
    I quite understand why you are concerned about the social standing of that expression, as a leave is first of all a permission to do something. For instance, one may get a leave for being absent from work. Leave of absence, sick leave....
    I checked in all possible dictionaires at hand and it seems that the expression has turned to be completely customary in every day speech for the act of setting out, going, departing. It's a farewell as well.
    (CW)
  • Be careful: "leave" is an uncountable noun, so it has no definite article ("a"), just like in "sick leave".
    "It's time to take leave of you all" (a formal goodbye)
    "I need to visit my family in New Zealand so I'm going to take six weeks' leave."
    "But you're only allowed four weeks' holiday; you'll have to take some unpaid leave as well."
  • By the way, the winking emoticon is a typo; it was supposed to be an end bracket. Sorry.
  • Very relevant, your remark, Adam! Thank you so much.
    So I must correct my say this way: 'to get leave for being absent from work.'

Is your leave long gone, Lilian? I was counting on your reply.

Please sign in to leave a comment.