English Vocabulary

each every all

hello to you all,

GG proposes:

I would like you each to visit the grounds.

To my opinion I'd better say: I would like you all to visit the grounds.

What's your opinion?

3 comments

• As you, Norman, I feel that 'you all' sounds better than 'you each'. But maybe 'you each' is more stressing on every single one than 'you all'. If I had to use 'each' in such sentence I'd rather use 'each' as a pronon and say "I would like each or you to visit the ground." or with more stress on every single one "I'd like each one of you to visit the ground" (each being adj. in the latter ex.)

I also could say: I woud like all of you to visit..." (all, noun)

That's my opinion, Norman, as you requested. But just the opinion of a GGlearning-mate.
  • You would likely say: each of you, wouldn't you? instead of each or you!
  • Oh, there is a subtle but decisive difference between "each of you" and "al lof you ".

Consider the request of a stern mother to her children:

"I like each of you to congratulate grandmother to her eightieth birthday." contrary to "I like all of you to congratulate".

In the first case, the mother stresses that each child has to congratulate grandma individually, whereas in the second case the children might as well do it altogether.

Transferred to the introductory GG proposal, the talker person suggests each person visit the grounds invididually, of course without ruling out they can do it in groups (whatever the 'grounds' are).

Please sign in to leave a comment.