English Vocabulary

to be bound to

It was marked as a bad choice saying "Kevin's holiday in Thailand is bound to begin on Wednesday." It should be said instead '...begins on Wednesday'.
But I've sensed the phrase as "Kevin's holiday in Thailand has to begin on Wednesday (since a contract maybe)." Why can't I interpret that in this way?

3 comments

• Why not your choice? I guess it must be correct, on a grammatical basis, but I presume it's a bit awkward to use 'to be bound to' about holidays, as the expression implies an obligation or a commitment.

Though 'to be bound to' is commonly used for things or events like:
    It was to bound to happen !
    Horatio's recipes are bound to be disclosed.
    E-books are bound to fail.
    My vernal decisions on this March 21 are bound to fail.
    With such a pretty name capablanca is bound to go in a white cloak.

As for me I'd prefer your sentence to go this way:
    Kevin is bound to go on holiday in July.
    or, as you said, capablanca,
    Kevin's holidays are to begin on Wednesday.

Just my feelings.
  • Sorry for a bug: It was bound to happen! (there a bad extra 'to' in the message I have just posted)

As I was a bit distracted, that bug was bound to happen.
  • AhQ wrapped it up already.

Nevertheless, I'd like to chime in and contribute my deliberations.

There is subtle difference if "to be bound to" is applied to persons or to events.

For a person, "to be bound to do sth." is an obligation, stipulated by contract or
    any other from of agreement ( "The employees are bound to keep interoffice matters confidential" ), but events can't be "obliged" to "do" something.

In a nutshell, "to bound to do sth." expresses on obligation for a person
    For an event, it expresses a predicted consequence ( "The negotiations about the nuclear disarmament are bound to fail." ). In this case, the "failure of the negotations" is the predicted event.

The event, for example the looming failure of E-Books, constitutes an educated prediction a forecast. on account of hints and clues or personal opinion, a logical consequence, or a prediction on hindsight ("The fall of the Berlin Wall was bound to happen one day" or "The Berlin Wall was bound to fall one day".

But don't we be confused: An event can also be applied to a person ("The dictator was bound to be overthrown by the populace one day." ).

Please sign in to leave a comment.