The Delavigne Corporation

STINK

I feel sorry for the dog whose name is Stink! Pour thing... How can one think of a name like this?

7 comments

• My views chime with yours, Loulia. Stink the dog got his name from a stinker.
  • do you mean Bruno stinks?
  • Hi Willy !

What a nice surprise bumping into you on this forum. I thought you could have been made laid off. I had forgotten your security round on this forum was made but on a yearly basis.

But let's get to the point. Why did I tell Loulia Stink had got his name from a stinker?

1st point - Calling a dog Stink must be made by someone who smells the dog is stinking. So Bruno couldn't name his pet himself as he is suffering from anosmia.

2d point - If, as I said, a stinker named the puppy, what kind of a stinker could he be? Not going along with the first meaning of the word 'stinker' which is 'one that stinks'. I presume a person that stinks cannot notice a dog is stinking because his own foul smell is floating all around. So we should conclude that the one who named the dog Stink was of the second kind of meaning of the word 'stinker', i.e. a contemptible person, a swine (in French we'd say 'un salaud').

3rd point - That person who named the puppy cannot be of the Delavigne's workforce as there has never been any stinker on the Delavigne's premises. Stink got probably his name before being sold to Bruno. You should, Billy, go and check Stink's ID, or its pedigree if any, where the former owners' names are written. Anyhow when entering the Delavigne milieu the dog must have been sprinkled with the latest Delavigne perfume by a staff.

4th point – That person who named the dog isn't either an Englishman or Englishwoman. Nowadays in England, pets are looking at as members of the family. There is what they all the « petiquette », it is the rules that run the force of law in the way to behave with pets. If you come as a guest in a family, you don't only have to greet growns up and children but also pets. Even the Queen is a speech she made some years ago at an anniversary told that she had known so many (I don't remember the number) prime ministers, so many chancellors of the exchequer, ... ,so many archbishops and 1405 dogs. I remember that in a former lesson of my daily GG there was a dog that could understand humans and answer Yes or No by barking once or twice. I don't think it is so common in USA, that's why the GG reported it, but it's very common in England. If you would pretend to be a genuine English citizen, behave in a way that you could be looked at as a pet. And when you join a meeting of friends, instead of addressing them with a 'Hi folks' or 'Hi peeps', rather say 'Hi pets'. (this is truly true, believe me.)

So I must conclude the person who named Bruno's dog was probably a stinker from America.

Bye Willy! See you around (next year?)
    AhQ
  • Dog's heaven

Dogs don't care about the names they have been given. They don't even get the meaning of it. Hence, I cannot feel much compassion for them when they are referred to as with names that conjure up negative associations with us. No – we have any reason to envy them. Since their peers are dogs, too, and don't savvy the name of their fellows either, they are not in danger of being bullied for their names, how weird whatsover. You can call your dog "lampshade" - they don't care about it, and neither does their peer group.

Rather, an infelicitous name can be embarrassing for the holder of the dog.

In case of Stink, Bruno's pet, some people might think the poor little fellow has it's name for a good reason. It might cast a bad light on Bruno himself: Usually, well-groomed dogs don't reek - and dogs, held in a tidy household don't take on nauseating odors neither.

Granted, I never saw a dog being tooth-brushed – they don't need it. But you don't kiss a dog welcome and you don't make face-to-face conversation with them (usually). Hence, let's assume that a well-groomed, shampooed fur is enough to be human-socially compatible.

But, assuming you are a jogger: In this case, heavy reeking pooches are advantageous, particular when they are teeny-weeny like those little dogs you're afraid of squashing them under your sole when stepping on them accidentally (and let me tell you: You can't get the sticky goop off your shoes for weeks!), a conspicuous reek (mainly of the dog, but also of the jogger!) works like an early warning system. But that only goes for free-running pooches, which are unleashed by their holders (or kept on a long leash) and hence loitering ten meters behind them – or scurrying out of the bushes of all sudden. In case they are leashed, on a 2 meter line at the most, it's also sufficient if the holder exudes a salient odor (then there is no need to distinguish between dog and owner).

In those rare situations when the owner is smaller than his dog (I've never seen these cases, but I heard of them) AND the dog is not kept on a short line, a groomed owner is at any rate permanently in danger when sharing the sidewalk with joggers - provided they fit under your jogging shoes like Chiwawas.
  • Dogs are said to have got the sixth sense. They obviously feel the mood or atmosphere, when the owner calls for them with this name and people standing around react with disgust, revulsion or sympathy and pity with them.

CW
  • hello Gwendo,

I'm the wiser for it, are you a dog whisperer? Tell me more about dog's soul.
  • Nothing from the dog whisperer? I read about some of them: Nicole Schöfmann, she has studied animal communication and instruct it to dog's owners by meditation dvd's and books. Has somebody heard or read it? Please your comments:

Please sign in to leave a comment.