English Idioms

Ask for explanation of "a million-pound book deal"

Hello,
In the following excerpt, I find quite strange the expression "a million-pound book deal", especialy why "book" in this sentence?
Can someone give me explanation?

Excerpt: Leeson is currently awaiting his trial date, being divorced by his wife, and finalising a million-pound book deal.
a 100 million dollar deal: une affaire à 100 millions de dollars

Thanks,
christophe

2 comments

• As a screwball, I couldn't solve the issue by myself. Since I shifted onto Wiki. Here you are with my findings.

The Leeson in your sentence must be Nicholas Leeson (nickname Nick!). Leeson is a former derivatives broker. His unsupervised unauthorized speculative trading caused the collapse of Barings Bank, the United Kingdom's oldest investment bank, for which he was sent to prison. (according to Wiki)
    His first wife divorced him while he was in prison.

[By the way, thanks to you, Christophe, I learned that to divorce is a transitive verb. To get divorced from my wife, either I divorce her or I am divorced by her! ... now let's start over with your issue.]

Up until now Leeson had published two books, the first of them having been made into a film. Is he about to release a third book? I dunno. But anyhow he has yet and very likely WILL still finalise a big deal with his books? That's the 'book deal' at stake in the sentence.

That's awesome, hey!
  • Well, it's obvious. I take it to that Mr. Leeson is currently in the last stages ( that's why "finalising" ) of wrapping up a very lucrative deal with a publisher who publishes his book, which will most likely bring him a lot of money.

On the one hand, he has not much luck in his private life (he is being divorced by his wife), but on the other hand he is quite successfull in business matters. No real contradiction.

Please sign in to leave a comment.