English Idioms

A friend in need, as a friend indeed..

Hi, I'm new. What do you think about this idiom, has it positive or negative meaning?

9 comments

• Hi new Sema!
    The saying I knew so far was "A friend in need is a friend indeed."

According to that saying friendship should be nothing but a calculating feeling. It's sometimes true, sometimes false. It depends on people and circumstances. I for one think it is neither positive, nor negative.
  • I thought it means if a friend need something from you, he will show himself more friendly. Anyway your thinking is more positive than me. Thanks.
  • vous avez tout a fait raison, il ya ,que des fauts amis!!!kf,
  • je suis bien placee pour le dire.... soleen,
  • "A friend in need is a friend indeed" is a positive expression.
    It wants to say that if someone is there for you and cares for
    you when you are in trouble and need somebody, then he proves that he is a real friend.

Usually you have a lot of so-called friends when you're doing well and you have much to offer, and only when you're going through dire straits, the chaff seperates from the wheat and you will inevitably figure out who your friends really are. On that note, the saying has also a negative statement, that is, not all friends in good times are real friends.
  • a friend we need while we're blue or in trouble,... that is real friend...

i think this idiom has positive meaning.
  • From Tuyen Le:
    a friend we need while we're blue or in trouble,... that is real friend...

i think this idiom has positive meaning.

• "A friend in need is a friend indeed" has only one positive meaning; that is to find somebody stands by you when you are in a trouble.This person wants just to give you a hand and nothing in return.
  • http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-friend-in-need.html

Please sign in to leave a comment.