English Vocabulary

date or appointement

Is there a difference between a date or an appointement
Thanks

9 comments

• I think they are synonyms in many contexts but of course there is a shade of meaning that makes them out.
    With my girlfirend I'll have a date rather an appointment.
    But I may have a medical appointment and a medical date as well.
    Synonyms are not one single thing, they have their connection network and sound singularly. Only practice leads to the right word.
  • Actually, there is no real difference between both terms in the strict sense. But we have eventually made a habit of using 'date' for a rendezvous and 'appointment' for 'official' meetings like with doctors or business partners.

Hence, I stick to the meaning we all have in mind when talking about "dates" and "appointments". And you'll never be wrong when you stick to it.

In some sense you might consider 'appointment' a hypernym (a generally term) for 'date'. That is, date is an appointment, but not every appointment is a date.

A date (an appointment predominantly with a member of the other gender aiming at establish a romantic relationship (=rendezvous)) must be scheduled at a certain time like any other appointment - on that note a 'date' it's an appointment with a special, a romantic purpose.

On the other side, a meeting with your dentist or physician is typically an appointment.
  • That settles it indeed, William. From now on I'll make an appointment rather than a date with my doctor who is a female whereas I mean to be still a bit of a male. That should spare any misunderstanding in future.

So, I'll use 'date' for any romantic or at least pleasant appointment.

A friend of mine who is sales manager at IBM Belgium and is mad about wining and dining her clients told me some days ago that she was making luncheon dates with custumers on a weekly basis. For sure she likes her job very much for dating people so often.

By the way I've been told that a survey has found that one in five American dentists has dated a dental patient. Are French kisses so frequent in dentists' offices? As a result we might conclude that 80% of Americans make dental appointments and 20% dental dates.

You may think, William, that I'm gonna go nuts. You might be right.
    Anyway gingko is now well-informed.
  • You settled it, Joe. There is very little more to add (I daresay nothing at all).

Nevertheless, allow me to voice my high admiration for a person like you, top of
    every class and with an epithet that shows such a great deal of modesty and self-effacing -
    even self-deprecation. I envy you for your superiority in moral regards. In contrast to me, who
    is adorning himself with a great name, you are completely free of any vain veins.

But even in linguistic regards you have the best references one can have. Sales Manager and/or IBM -and notably Sales Manager at IBM- are famous for setting standards for the English language - and serving as a lingual reference. Deep inside, I've always been under the impression, that they are not here to make money or build computer systems. No, their actual field of Research & Development have always been, more or less covered up, the English language.

Besides, I envy you for having an acquaintance in the high ranks of IBM. Such ties are much more reliable and convincing than other references one can provide. Who needs self-confidence and self-esteem himself?

Next time you meet him to discuss linguistic topics, I don't have to tell you should
    tell your wife: "I'm dating a guy from IBM" or "He is my date". I know, you know it much better
    than I do. Being in compliance with widespread linguistic habits, especially if they are backed up by an Oxford Dictionary is the best guarantee for being on the safe side.
  • Wow! You took me for a ride and you cracked me up, William. Thanks a lot for your dry sense of humour that can't come from anywhere but England.

I can't forget you are a poet of prophecy and I am so bold as to take personally your saying "The fool who persists in his folly will become wise."(*) Why wouldn't Hell marry Heaven?
    Thank you for enlightening me. Thanks to you I won't give my GG up, the GG! the shortest way from hell to heaven.
    Gratefully yours
    Joe

(*) Would you be from Paris and not from England, your say would be even more racy "Si le fou persiste dans dans sa folie, il rencontrera la sagesse."
  • 'Dates' are not just romantic or intimate in nature. Saying 'lunch date' to describe a casual meeting with a client or business partner over a meal is just as acceptable as calling a pre-organized gathering of young children a 'play date'.
  • Thank you very much for the enlightment about date / appointment. I am french and I thought appointment was the UK word for date (US)! Too simple !
    I didn't know ibm pretentions on the english language but as my first job was coding on a ibm computer in the years 1970 - a mainframe ;-) , I can assure you that ibm has had a huge contribution to our obliged improving of the english language ; just a few technical notices were translated and in that case, mostly by people who knew nothing about computers ! So we had better find the american notice and a dictionary or an english speaking collegue !
  • I can't speak much for British English, being American.

Est-ce que vous habitez en France maintenant? J'habite à Montréal et le français québécois a ses propres saveurs.. ;-)
  • From ginkgo:
    Is there a difference between a date or an appointement
    Thanks

for "love" it's a date
    for " any kind of business " it's an appointement
    it's what i remember of the swinging london of my youth

Please sign in to leave a comment.