The Delavigne Corporation

woman with the candles : But Why ?

Bonjour,
I'd like to know why Horatio names Luna "The woman with the candles". A matter of earrings ?
Cordially

13 comments - page 2

• To U Gold.
    Dear golden fellow,
    As I answered the kind message of your doppelganger (or 'pseudo'), I wanted to tell you that I drop down this forum to practice English - just like you! I've been learning the language with GG for many years (6 or 7?) and as I don't come across natives on a daily basis I foster my practice by coming to the forum.
    It's nice to chat with you.
    C U
    Joe
  • From Ugoid:
    Good Afternoon, Mr Joe.
    I am sorry, Negationist has an “a” not an “o” like in Nego : I cannot be a negationist. You say you are a pure native European and you write pure english and american too. You started the GG but you do not seem to need it to improve your english, you seem to be on the forum only for fun.
    It is not my case ! The alias who entered the nickname Negoww1 said : “You have an old way of thinking and you have black ideas, we cannot write together in the forum; but I give you a chance, I will call you the ‘not ego from the World War I’ if GG system allows ”.
    So we can share the lessons and I must say I enjoy very much hearing from Harold P. Warbuckle, my favorite character in Delavigne Corp. Like him, I shoot first and then think if I have time left. It is true GG lessons make users improve and not only their english. Through the wars and the thirty glorious years, I had been applying this principle in fighting and business. But since I met Philip Cheeter, I made up my mind, soon I will be the Number One Negociator in the Wild West.
    Yours faithfully, Capitaine Nego.

Au Capitaine Nego.
    Dear Captain,
    I was pleased to get a clarification from you about your name and position. I'm happy with learning that you are "the Number One Negociator in the Wild West." As I can see you are an up-to-date mogul in the big business.
    I am sorry for lagging behind with a Latin culture that taught me in olden days that nego was the first person in the present simple of 'negare' (nego, negas, negat...). Nevertheless, even if I wasn't up-to-date, I wondered whether you might be a fellow-sailor of Captain Nemo. Jules Vernes appointed Nemo as commnder of a sub-marine. Therefore, I'd like to ask you some questions.

1. As you are sailing through the GymGlish waters, I guess you could be at the helm of an English galley. Your French background must have taught you that Albert Londres, your fellow countryman writer, called the cyclists of the Tour de France 'les forçats de la route'. Les forçats de la mer, ce sont les galériens, the galley-slaves as they say. And here at the GymGlish we are so hard working in the English matters that we look like English galley-slaves on an English galley under the high command of Captain Nego. Could that be true, I'd send you my application form to be hired as galley-slave. My poor social position shouldn't hinder my hiring because I'd be an upstanding rower, able to row on the beat with all my fellow English galley-slaves. I would obey your orders.

2. Second concern: Where is your galley heading to? As Nr 1 Nego. in the WW, is it that you are heading to China, or India? Never mind. I don't fear the wild side of such a journey.

Last but not least, Captain Nego, don't call me "Mr"Jo. I am not used to such civility.

Wish you many happy cruises and landings.
    Joe
  • Sorry for a wrong move making the poem come after my former answer.
    Anyway this is a follow-up to the poem, addressed to Peter, Paul and Mary.

Ohe, Peter, Paul and Mary,
    Your song made a screwball merry.
    Until then he had just grown dull
    Having the blues all through his skull.
    But your flatt'ry turned his head.
    To pride he raced ahead.
    I let you guess, the three of you:
    What could be Screwball dreaming of?
    Not with a mare having free love!
    But I will help you with a cue:
    Twice you said: I wish he were mine.
    If that could be the finish line
    Of Screwball's race in the GymGlish
    That would fulfil the horse's wish.

Hey you, Peter, Paul and Mary!
    You were writing like a fairy.
    By the way...
    between you and me...
    for that song...
    didn't an intern of the Delavigne give a hand? .. friendly.

But as a stone Peter should be wary.
    And as a goy Paul shouldn't be scatty.
    No! In sorrow they shouldn't put Mary.
    Gamblers are doomed to be ruined... deadly.
    Don't bet on Screwball.. I tell you ... starkly.
    Buy him... fervidly.
    Joe
  • From BailleCl:
    By the way, I first heard Stewball by Willie Dixon on Deutsch Grammophon American Folk blues festival (1962). Peter Paul and Mary are probably nice fellows,(...) Skewbald.
    And my (poor) memory sings me that he was a black horse, and blind too. And that's where the Blues is (hmm, hmm)

Thank you, dear fellow GymGlisher, for informing me about my ancestry.
    Joe the screwball

From Peter, Paul and Mary:
    Hey ! Joe, I have a song for you:
    Oh Screwball was a racehorse, and I wish he were mine.
    He never drank water, he always drank wine.
    His bridle was silver, his mane it was gold.
    And the worth of his saddle has never been told.
    Oh the fairgrounds were crowded, and Screwball was there
    But the betting was heavy on the bay and the mare.
    As they were approaching about half way around,
    the grey mare she stumbled, and fell to the ground.
    And a-way up yonder, ahead of them all,
    Came a-prancin' and a-dancin' my noble Screwball.
    I bet on the grey mare, I bet on the bay
    If I'd have bet on ol' Screwball, I'd be a free man today.
    Oh the hoot owl, she hollers, and the turtle dove moans.
    I'm a poor boy in trouble, I'm a long way from home.
    Oh Screwball was a racehorse, and I wish he were mine.
    He never drank water, he always drank wine.

Please sign in to leave a comment.