English Vocabulary

who is a Westerner ?

I am reading "Eat,Pray,Love" by Elisabeth Gilbert. She was born in the US she says she is a Westerner and describes also other characters in her book as Westerners. I am from the west part of France. Am I a Westerner too? Who is a Westerner ? Can one be an Easterner ?

4 comments

• I can't be related to the directions. For a Siberian a White Russian in a Westerner. And if you follow your nose eastwards, you will sooner or later hit America.
    So - what is it??
  • From €-W.W:
    I am reading "Eat,Pray,Love" by Elisabeth Gilbert. She was born in the US she says she is a Westerner and describes also other characters in her book as Westerners. I am from the west part of France. Am I a Westerner too? Who is a Westerner ? Can one be an Easterner ?

• I think it refers to the West as Occident, opposed to the East as Orient.
    So, even if you live in the east of France you still remain a westerner on a worldwide perspective ;-)
    This simplistic dichotomy might happen to be too narrow in the upcoming era we're about to live.
  • Yes, certainly it is too narrow, we can have several lives in different countries, we can travel a lot and our children and their families will live in different parts of the world from east to west and north to south ;-)

Please sign in to leave a comment.