English Grammar

CONDITIONAL

I don't uncderstand why after IF, Gymglish uses the future " If I'll go....... we can .....". As far as I know,in English, we cannot use this construction: "If I go... we'll be able to..." or "If I went..... I would be able to ..." .
Have you got an idea?
Thank you for your answer!
amarie

6 comments

• As nobody came and rescued you, amarie, here I am, not as a sharp grammarian but as a benevolent co-learner.

Here you are with what I find in a grammar by Martin Hewings, ed. Cambridge.(extracts)

We don't usually use if...will in conditional clauses.(1)

However, we can use if...will -

* when we talk about a result of something in the main clause
    ~~~~ Open a window if it will help you to sleep (or: if it helps you to sleep)- helping to sleep is the result of opening the window.

* in requests or with the meaning 'if you are willing to' (Note that would can be used too, instead of will)
    ~~~~ If you will/would take your seats, we can begin the meeting.

* in real conditionals when we want to show that we disapprove of something. In this case, WILL is stressed in speech.
    ~~~~ A: I'm tired. B: Well, if you will go to bed so late, I'm not surprised.

* Note that they can use if...won't when they talk about a refusal to do something.
    ~~~~ There's no point in trying to teach the class if they won't pay attention.

Now, amarie, it would be kind of you to tell us the whole sentence at stake.
    Thank you for posting that question.

(1)[Joe's note: Wow! Far from stupid, that amarie!]
  • thank you very much. the two sentences in a lesson are:

M. Canker, if you'll calm down, we can discuss this like adults

If you won't be honest with your shareholders how can we trust you with our money?

If you won't be honest with your shareholders how can we trust you with our money?

• Three times thank you, amarie.
    As you can check it, both sentences hit right with the grammar.
  • hello everybody,i'm ck.nice to meet all

Please sign in to leave a comment.