English Grammar

GET +VERB

"We had better GET GOING before it starts to rain" What does it mean GET GOING?

Why not " We had better go before it starts to rain ?

10 comments

• To get going is an idiomatic expression meaning - according to the context - to go, to move on, to start, to get started, to start to be active.
    You are right thinking it could be said as well "We had better go". If Lizbeth the Queen were speaking, she would probably say "We had better go" but the English language is more and more wretched as it is spread all over the world.

Some times ago an idiom came on down this forum - could it be under the English Idioms header? - posted by capablanca:
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    It's a play on words here. Tough people who get going are starting to be active.
  • I agree with Sandy about how the Queen of England is likely to speak. To get going seems to be an American idiomatic way of telling 'to go, to move one, etc.'
    To get is a verb for all occasions. If you cannot find out how to say something you have a nine-in-ten chance to say GET and to be understood.

Some languages, like French for instance with l'Académie française, have authorities that officially agree new words. It's not going that way with English that has become Globish.
    These days I read several American magazines and I came across "to pony up" every 3 pages. I couldn't find to pony up in any English dictionary. But I bet it will be some years ahead. Is it a new American idiom?
    Don't forget, amarie, that the Delavigne Corporation is based in California and that it takes you from GB to Australia.

English language evolves according to people in their everyday speaking.
    That's why I wonder why they say
    to get going, to get cracking, to get moving,
    but to get started.
    Why there an -ing form and here a pp? It's just common use.
  • would Joe be kind enough to let us know what "pony up" means or will we have to wait some years to read it in a dictionnary???
    Thank you and God save the Queen
  • Yo, yomomma!
    Pleased to learn that you read my long chattering.
    To pony up seems to mean to raise money or to pay.
    I'll hand you some excerpts over later.

Wow! How nice your present subjunctive to save their queen! Your are a good saviour.
    See you later.
  • Forgive me for intervening, Joe. It couldn't resist the temptation to practise the new term 'to pony up' and present the result here:

'to pony up' is a very colloquial expression and synomymous to 'to shell out money',that is, to pay money more or less reluctantly.

An example: If you are caught speeding by police (and given the recent rise in fines for minor traffic infractions) you would most probably tell your buddies later: 'Darn! I had to pony up 50 Euro only for driving 100 in the parking lot!'

Thanks, Joe, for bringing up a new term. Henceforth, I will always remember 'to pony up'. It's now
    deposited in my long-term memory - and I'm prepared for every minor traffic offense I have to pay a fine for.
  • From amarie:
    "We had better GET GOING before it starts to rain" What does it mean GET GOING?

Why not " We had better go before it starts to rain ?

• Hi, whacky.
    Good news! You're back.
    We don't know much about you. Now then we learn you are a reckless driver. Minor traffic offense? You're kidding? Please, slow down. Be careful. Every GG-forum regular are in great need of you.

Yo, Yomomma.
    Whacky told you everything. So much the better.
    I want nonetheless add something.

I was deadly wrong telling that pony up could mean raise money. Just sometimes money has to be raised to afford to pony up.

To pony up: transitive (whacky had to pony up €50 for speeding.) or intransitive (Would you pony up for a racing car like whacky's?)
    pony-up may even be used as an adverb. It's American informal language, hey!

Some excerpts I promised to hand over:

Reluctantly paying as said whacky:

The father ponied up some bucks for his children's tuition.
    Should you pony up for a speeding-ticket?

But is it actually 'reluctantly' that they pony up hereafter?

About US economico-political system: "Even as the United States is busy pouring money into its own system, China has ponied up almost a billion dollars to prop up its stock market since the financial crisis." (Rana Faroohar, columnist at Newsweek)

"WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange takes time to pony up cash for defense of Army private as promised" (the New-York Daily News, Dec 7th 2010)

"As grants run out, Universities pony up cash for open courseware."

"The Wikipedia foundation hopes to raise $16 million to stay ad-free. Pony up!" (personal appeal from Wp-founder on the web)

Would you pony up for a life-long GG-user's tuition? If so, pony up willingly.
  • so we had better get paying! Hadn't we?

Please sign in to leave a comment.