English Idioms

Hôtel California

in that song des Eagles : " her mind is Tiffant twiwted", what does that mean ? i suppose sh's insane, but i'am not sure.
Thanks for your help.
ready to read you.
Vict.

4 comments

• i meant, "is Tiffany twisted" : not so good when i type, sorry. Vict.
  • Hi Victorine,

I hope I can help, even though it's a little
    late, but I was quite occupied with other things.

A 'Tiffany-twisted mind' means a way of thinking which is adversely influenced (twisted, confused, contorted) by the world of luxury and wealth. Tiffany & Co. is a leading manufacture and monger for jewelry, and the text use this symbol of luxury tor create an artificial adjective: 'Tiffany-twisted'. We could paraphrase this by 'a mind confused, maybe even spoiled by luxury as sold by Tiffany's'.

What this line of 'Hotel California' wants to say: We're dealing with a girl (the 'girl' here is actually
    the country California, LA or the Californian music industry itself) who likes luxury too much ('Tiffany-twisted mind'), loves to have many pretty boy flocking to her, who she calls friends, but aren't real friends. It's an allegory in order to call the preference and the semblance for luxury into question the narrator in the song text is noticing in the 'Hotel California'.
  • Hi Whacky,
    I am so pleased, thanks for your answer and your interpretation. I was thinking of something like this but couldn't manage to express it so obviously.
    I must admit that my husband was on the same wawe as you.

That song is a real poem, so different meanings are possible for this "phrase culte", lt's just a fabulous language.
    Thanks again.

Vic.

From Whacky:
    Hi Victorine,

I hope I can help, even though it's a little
    late, but I was quite occupied with other things.

A 'Tiffany-twisted mind' means a way of thinking which is adversely influenced (twisted, confused, contorted) by the world of luxury and wealth. Tiffany & Co. is a leading manufacture and monger for jewelry, and the text use this symbol of luxury tor create an artificial adjective: 'Tiffany-twisted'. We could paraphrase this by 'a mind confused, maybe even spoiled by luxury as sold by Tiffany's'.

What this line of 'Hotel California' wants to say: We're dealing with a girl (the 'girl' here is actually
    the country California, LA or the Californian music industry itself) who likes luxury too much ('Tiffany-twisted mind'), loves to have many pretty boy flocking to her, who she calls friends, but aren't real friends. It's an allegory in order to call the preference and the semblance for luxury into question the narrator in the song text is noticing in the 'Hotel California'.

• Hi Victorine,

Your'e welcome, it was pleasure,

And I see you relish the song as much as I do.

When I was younger, I used to play this song up and down - in my car, in my room and I loved it. I still love it. When I listen to it, I can vividly imagine how a guy hikes on a desert road and approaches a shimmering hotel 'up ahead in the distant'. Although the meaning of this song is methaporical, I didn't know it back then and just relished the atmosphere.

I wish you many poetic moments with this outstanding song.

Please sign in to leave a comment.