English Grammar

Much and Many

I get confused : according to my last lessons : Much is uncountable and Many is countable, OK, that's the rule, but ....
- Much hair : uncountable ( I won't even try it)
- Many people : countable ???? in a mob, or anywhhere crowdy, for me it's uncountable ( demonstrations : difficult to décide hom many they where).
Is there an other indication helping to know if it's" Many or much" ?
thanks and...
Anyway " much love and many kisses" every body for reading my silly question.
Vict.

1 comments

• If you give up counting the people in a mob, Vic, it's due to your out-fashioned way of counting, pointing out people the one after the other by using your index finger.
    Nowadays there are new technics and advanced technologies that allow to count googolplexes of items.
    The items can be people.
    Do you know Google? It's all in a day's work for millions of people. The Google huge computers can count the googols of bytes operating in their electronic equipments. Much more than people in a crowd.

As you know, 'people' is a plural noun but countable. You and me, we are two people (invariable).
    The peoples of Europe (takes an s for plural when meaning population.)

You possibly don't know why Google has been called that name. The founder of Google was so much ambitious that he thought the name of his company should challenge with a googol. It did indeed!
    What's a googol? A number much huger than billions.
    In fact the googol has been coined by a boy of 9 named Milton Sirotta in 1938; he was the nephew of a the Jewish American mathematician Edward Kasner. Kasner was best to pique the interest of children. As Kasner was on a walk with his nephews he couldn't help thinking numbers. There was no name for very huge numbers, he thought. He asked his nephews for their ideas. Nine-year old Milton goggled (opened his eyes wide) and as he had just seen a motorbiker passing by with goggles, he said 'goggles?'
    We have grounds to think that Kasner was getting a bit deaf and he heard googol. The googol was born.
    1 googol = 10 exponent 100 = 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
    1 googol is a positive integer number, Vic.
    The reality of what exists is made of googols of googols of googols ... of elementary particles, Vic. That MANY particles are countable, Vic, even if you couldn't have enough with your whole life to count them with a huge computer.

Don't worry, Vic. Let your hair down!

Please sign in to leave a comment.