English Grammar

futur tense

Hello,
In the last lesson, you said : When I go next time, I WILL bring a parachute.
I wrote : I shall bring and it was wrong.
Why ?

5 comments

• A century ago you wouldn't have been told off for saying "I shall bring a parachute". The today's language doesn't use "shall" any more, except in some specific cases, namely for offering or suggesting something. (Shall I help you? Shall I tell you the truth?) You might also use "I shall" instead of "I will" when you want to insist, emphasize the action. (I was so high on cloud nine that when I climb so high again, I "shall" take a parachute, so fond I am of diving.) but (I "will" take a parachute is correct as well.)
  • OK, thank you very much for "a century ago" !!!
    I have learned English "a century ago", that's right !
    Anyway, thank you for answering my question.
  • You 'learned' English a century ago, that would be right.
    What happened a century ago, that's over, completed, finished.. so you need to use a SIMPLE PAST.
    I you think you 'have learned' some time ago, you are wrong.

But I for one have attended the GymGlish courses since many years yet. I 'have attended' because for now I am still attending them. So I need to use a PRESENT PERFECT.

Keep up working hard, Corinne.
  • I hate grammar.
    Why everybody says it is easy to speak english ???
    Thank you very much,I have to work very hard
    Corinne
  • Arnold, you English teacher. Your PRESENT PERFECT would be even more perfect if you used it correctly:

'But I for one have attended the GymGlish course for many years'.

'Since' does not fit here, I think you know why.
    And for English native speakers, 'already' or 'yet' is not common in this context. What they usually say is 'for many years', what is tantamount to our 'schon seit Jahren'.

Have a nice day ;-)
    Cordially
    Whacky

Please sign in to leave a comment.