The Delavigne Corporation

Hannah is a FIVE

Type FIVE is often named the OBSERVER or the INVESTIGATOR.
What happened to Hannah when she was a child ? To have some information about it, I managed to meet her at the coffee machine and tried to hint at her childhood . Of course, she avoided my allusions, which is typical of a FIVE’s behaviour.
FIVEs always try to protect from intrusion. They are convinced that knowledge will keep them safe from others’ attempts. FIVEs are often good learners, accumulate knowledge and can become experts in subjects they have chosen. They have a natural ability to detach from feelings and needs.
In a secured and favorable context a FIVE will get the qualities of an EIGHT (Bruno). Situations of stress can lead him / her to avarice (of knowledge, time, money…) and isolation.
A FIVE and a ONE (Icarus for instance) will behave a little the same way. Therefore, it is not easy for them to make the first step and communicate unless they have signals they will be welcomed. The difference between the two types appears in a concept called the Three Centers, which is an arrangement of the 9 types 3 by 3 : the FIVE belongs to the Thinking Center (5,6,7), the ONE to the Instinctive Center (8,9,1). It can be seen at Delavigne : Hannah is more purely mental and Icarus more fact-oriented.
Just remember that this is an illustration on how the Delavigne Story has been conceived. Perhaps there is no computer software to generate the scripts (see “Behind the Curtain: A Secret Revealed”) but there is a general canvas. There is no value judgment related to the method.
With love to my faithful readers.
Dr. Donna Donnovan

8 comments

• So she a FIVE ! I'am afraid not to understand exactly the whole signification of it. Anyway, i would appreciate if she could stop screaming, at least... when she appears in my lessons.
    Perhaps she should sing lyrics as a soprano ? I imagine It'will be great time at the coffee machine, don't you ?

Thank you kind Donna
    Victorine
  • Hi Victorine,
    You are right, it is better singing than screaming. The enneagram explains that, in a discussion with someone else, a FIVE can avoid real communication by two means : one is to stay mute, the other is to speak a lot and shout.
    Cheers
    Donna
  • Yes, that sounds familiar, to say the least.

I take it that type-FIVE characters are not the most pleasant company in some situations. And what happens when two FIVES meet each other? Do they keep silent at each other? Do they shout at each other? If a FIVE wants to observe, but doesn't want to reveal anything of himself- then there cannnot be anything to be observed at one another when two FIVES bump into each other. Is it boiling down to a tacit encounter?

And if the main tenet of a FIVE is: 'I know!' - what if the counterpart FIVE lays claim to the same 'I know'? Can two FIVES work together in the first place?
  • "And what happens when two FIVES meet each other?"

It happens quite often indeed. Perhaps they won't speak but "they cannot not communicate" "Man kann nicht nicht kommunizieren" as written by Paul Watzlawick... and they will do it by all kinds of other means ;-) .
    The Enneagram will also give another explanation through the concept of WING. I could ask you more : how old are your FIVEs ? The basic desire of a FIVE, the "unconscious drive" developped in childhood is to be protected from intrusion. The Enneagram says that when we get older, we usually develop a second (and sometimes a third) type of prefered behaviour named a WING. Most of times, this wing is an adjacent type of the number. In adequate situations, a FIVE can therefore behave as a FOUR or as a SIX...
    Cheers
    Donna
  • Dear Dr. Donna,

I'm so grateful for the response - to a question I didn't really meant seriously ;-)

From Donna:
    "And what happens when two FIVES meet each other?"

It happens quite often indeed. Perhaps they won't speak but "they cannot not communicate" "Man kann nicht nicht kommunizieren" as written by Paul Watzlawick... and they will do it by all kinds of other means ;-) .

Yes, that what I thought and that's what I asked. I've read books of Paul Watzlawick myself and I'm familiar with the famous quote 'Youn cannot not communicate'. Quite honest - one doesn't need a book of a psychoanalyst in order to figure this out.But it's often helpful to refer to a famous person, an approved authority - that could avert seconds thoughts and underpin an opinion. Even so, I don't have (many) second thougts about this, as you might have told.

The question which hhad bothered me (not really, as you might have noticed): What do they really so, when TWO inveterate TYPE-FIVE meet? 'Other means' is fine - but what are those other means? (I can guess, but I would haven been enlightened and convincing to hear it from you). But I guess that's dead and done with.

And I'm also familiar with that 'WING', that second (adjacent) type of a major type. I am TYPE X myself, with WING Y. (Since I am reluctant to reveal my TYPE and WING, you might a have a slight hint what TYPE I could be?)

And, yes, theres is also the phenomenon of a misjudgement in own's one Enneagram type - a false
    self-assessment in terms of the Enneagram type you come under. Could some harm, I know.

Don't let anyone bother you. The lectures of psychotherapists and psychologists always irritate me.
    I like them hearing lalk in their 'scientific' way about what they've learned during their education ;-)

Cordially
    Whacky, the natural scientist
    (and thanks for the lecture. It wasn't really something new - but anyway. That's the 'gentleman' in me).
  • Dear Dr. Donovan,

I'm so grateful for the response - to a question I didn't really meant seriously.
    From Donna:
    "And what happens when two FIVES meet each other?"

Yes, that what I thought and that's what I asked. I've read books of Paul Watzlawick myself and I'm familiar with the famous quote 'You cannot NOT communicate'. Quite honest: One doesn't need a book of a psychoanalyst in order to figure this out!! But it's often helpful to refer to a famous person, an approved authority. at least that could avert seconds thoughts and underpin the ownopinion. Even so, I don't have (many) second thougts about this, as you might have told.

The question which had bothered me (not really, as you might have noticed): What do they really do, when TWO inveterate TYPE-FIVE meet? 'Other means' is fine and obvious, but what are those other means? I can guess myelf, but it would have been enlightened and convincing to hear it from you). But I guess that's dead and done with.

And I'm also familiar with that 'WING', that second (adjacent) type of a major type. I am TYPE X myself, with WING Y. (Since I am reluctant to reveal my TYPE and WING, you might a have a slight hint what TYPE I could be?)

And, granted, theres is also the phenomenon of a misjudgement in own's one Enneagram type - a false
    self-assessment in terms of the Enneagram type you come under. That Could do some harm as well I know.

Don't let anyone bother you. The lectures of psychotherapists and psychologists always irritate me.
    I like them hearing lalk in their 'scientific' way about what they've learned during their education.

Cordially
    Whacky, the natural scientist

P.S. Thanks agaiun for the lecture. It wasn't really something new - but anyway. That's the 'gentleman' in me..
  • "But it's often helpful to refer to a famous person, an approved authority."
    Yes, of course I agree, he is the major spokesman of a huge project with two main consequences :
    - new kind of therapies since the years 1970 (quick therapies and family therapies with proven results);
    - a large contribution in systems theory and cybernetics (Xerox PARC, Apple...)

"'Other means' is fine and obvious, but what are those other means?"
    More and more often used : avoidance
    and also, all kinds of peaceful or agressive gesture.

We all know this forum is a play where we proceed with masks.
    Cheers.
    Donna
  • We all know this forum is a play where we proceed with masks.

Exactly! Our whole life is a stage we we have to play
    with masks.

Please sign in to leave a comment.