English Vocabulary

sadism

Sorry, if you give an other example like "I killed your mother's cat", I shall stop my gymglish.

I don't see the fun of it.

8 comments

• Perhaps since february you come no more on the forum, Nicole, but thanks to Whacky, we can say there is a previous case. Can you read the topic about Schroedinger's cat ? and tell us if you like.
  • Oh my God, keep calm, my dear ladies!

The example of 'Schroedinger'scat' is not about sadism. It's aim was to show the absurdity of quantum mechanics in physics, by the famous theoretical psysicist Schroedinger. He once apologized up front for hurting anybody's feeling - in particualry cat lovers.

No - pleasee don't feel appalled. It's merely a theoretical thought experiment. You can substitute the cat for a rat, if you feel better.

I just wonder: How can any woman survive a study of physics as soon as 'Schroedinger's cat' is discussed in the lectures about quantum mechanics?

No wonder most physicists are men ;-)
  • that's really a problem. I don't think it would be the same with a rat because for most people (men and women) the feelings for cats or rats are not the same :( but what do other readers think of it ?
  • From Sophie Moa:
    I don't think it would be the same with a rat because for most people (men and women) the feelings for cats or rats are not the same?

That's what it is supposed to. That is a problem. A real problem. If you put a rat in the box, it would be too weird not be considered as sadism, but the rat might escape before we could take a look. If we put Sophie in it, the discussion would go in a completely different. Completely. Two-fold. It would raise others concerns and would split the whole group of onlookers in two - no matter whether 'peers' or not.
  • would "I killed your mother's rat" suit everybody?!...
  • No some people are very fond of rats. Perhaps "I killed your mother's pig" would suit more people. Here in Brittany we kill a pig every year.
  • From Yann Le Ster:
    No some people are very fond of rats. Perhaps "I killed your mother's pig" would suit more people. Here in Brittany we kill a pig every year.

Yes. Than you were extremely lucky so far?
  • From Yann Le Ster:
    No some people are very fond of rats. Perhaps "I killed your mother's pig" would suit more people. Here in Brittany we kill a pig every year.

Yes. I you have been extremely lucky so far?

Please sign in to leave a comment.