English Idioms

Time's up

Hi,

I have a question : what's the difference between "time's up" and "time is over" please ?

11 comments

• A blinkered nincompoop like me can't make out a real difference between both expression 'time is up' and 'time is over'. But, as a nincompoop, who needs and employs the service of a professional therapist and life coach, I'm far more used to the expression 'Sorry, Mr. Whacky, time's up'. Please keep in mind what you wanted to say for the next session. Have a nice evening!"

The weekly sessions at my therapist are confined to one hour – and my therapist keeps meticulously track of the minute hand on his watch. (He is not paid by time, he is paid per session).

Well, I've been seeing my shrink for about 16 years now and I've made excellent process: I don't need a bib anymore.

I've never heard him say: 'Sorry, your time is over'.

But I don't know. Since I'm merely a nincompoop with tremendous psychological and mental problems and foibles, I could well be that the term 'Time is over' is also used quite frequently (and I can remember blurrily I've heard it sometime somewhere)

Basically, even as a nincompoop, I daresay: Both expressions mean more or less the same thing. The one says: 'The alloted period of time is depleted', whereas the other says 'The alloted period of time is over'.

Whacky
  • Great, thanks!
  • I am not an expert, my feeling : 'time is up" could refer to the instant, ( i'ts time to....),
    "time is over" seems more related to lenght of time ( no more time for...),
    in fact, i am not sure, both are very similar.
    Anyway, nice thinking that way oabout passing time.

Cheers everyone.
    victorine
  • No, no, Vic, this is a good supplement you have made here. 'Time is up' lends itself for that kind of interpretation.
    It could be imagined as something like 'the end is reached' (the end of the time period, that is).
    'XXX is up' conjures up assocations like 'XXX is coming, XXX is here'. After all, the bartender at the pub announces 'Two beers coming up' after we order two pints ;-)

Interesting idea. An effective mnemonic. Thanks and Cheers

Whacky
  • In my opinion, time's up means, it's time to start doing something ...whereas, time's over means,time is finished to do something !!
    really interesting idea to think about these kind of idioms .
  • In my opinion, time's up means, it's time to start doing something ...whereas, time's over means,time is finished to do something !!
    really interesting idea to think about these kind of idioms .
  • Time's up, the WE is out but sun is still up, is it good or not for a first of may ? I should have been marching...
    Perhaps two beers at the Whacky bartender ? but i don't like beer, perhaps time is up to finish something said Fary ? perhaps i should ask to " The Time" if it's up or down when i start thiking... perhaps time will be up... one day.
    anyway, cheers everybody
    V.
  • Beer? With Vic. At the bar? The same bar? I don't like beer at all, but in this case it must be a really strong beer ;-)
  • I think Vic and Whacky can meet at a bar without any idea of drinking beer because neither like it ;)

Please sign in to leave a comment.