English Vocabulary

winery or vineyard

What's the difference ?
In french we use to say "cave" and "vignoble".
I suppose this's the same in english for these two words.
Winery will be "cave" and vineyard will be "vignoble".
Am I right ?

12 comments

• From Oniris:
    What's the difference ?
    In french we use to say "cave" and "vignoble".
    I suppose this's the same in english for these two words.
    Winery will be "cave" and vineyard will be "vignoble".
    Am I right ?

• You have a nice nickname, Oniris, and a fine topic too ! I live in a wine region and I'd agree, but English is not my mother tongue. For me a winery is a place where wine is made end sold and a wineyard is acres of land planted with vines to give grapes. (?)
  • Hi, my name is Mai, I am a vietnamese.
    In Vietnam, we have not any wine cellar, but we have a lot of winery. In southern Vietnam, there are many wyneards but we don't use grapes to make wine, we just eat them. Our wine is made from rice and sometimes from other cereals. Do you know?
  • Hi Mai, my name is Kumakinga. I'm congolese,Africa.
    what is made from rice or other cereals in your country as well in mine might not it be kind of Alcohols. In my understanding wine is made from grapes or fruits' juces. Am I wrong?
  • @Kumakinga: You're right, but not sufficient.
    Let me introduce the traditional wines of our country: We cooked a special type of rice bran intact then fermented and distilled... more more stages, and, that's it!
    Most men in my country enjoy drinking this wine. Because of a very simple reason: we have wet rice civilization.
    If you visit my country, I will definitely invite you to taste, I think that is very special.
  • Yes, Mai, I can see that it also said "rice wine". For your information in my Country different Kind of alcoholic drinks(wines) are made from Maize, rice like in yours, sugar canes and sorghum. The process is almost the same as per your decription.

I am over 50 years old and the increase of vocabilaries is my challenge in this online course. How do you think that I can perform better.
  • That is the way, I think. I am a little bit younger but it is the same. Sometimes I see a word that I don't know, look at a dictionnary, and forget it. Sometimes I say : I have alredy seen this word but I don't remeber what it means and I cannot find out even with a whole sentance. One possible way is to write down lists and try to see if one can find the english word from the translation. But practicing ebvery day is certainly the best way to keep vocabulary in mind.
  • @Kumakinga:
    I am 19 years old and I am learning english and french. It's so hard but also advantage, I usually translate from vietnamese into english and french and vice versa. When free time, I watch the foreign TV programs that only have subtitle or read some simple legends. I realy like to use paper dictionary more than electronic dictionary.
    The another hand, I want to get acquainted with foreign friends to learn more about their culture and make me more confident in communication. That is my way, I hope that it will be useful with you
  • hy Duong,

My name is rachid am from morocco and i want to practice my English with someone, if you are agree, please let me know.

Regards.

Please sign in to leave a comment.