The Delavigne Corporation

Carmina Burana, Wheel of fortune, Enneagram ;)

What I am reading (Dunces) make me think about the Wheel of Fortune; just see what I've found in Wiki:

Fate - monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
status is bad,
well-being is vain
always may melt away,
shadowy
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
bare backed
I bear your villainy.
. . . . . . . . .
The wheel is turned by Fortuna;
I go down, demeaned;
another is carried to the height;
far too high up
sits the king at the summit -
let him beware ruin!
for under the axis is written
Queen Hecuba

Eh ;) Queen Donna, keep the wheel rolling ;)

14 comments

• Queen Hecuba - wow, you quote pretty ancient and venerable stuff here - Homer and Ilias. The wailing of Queen Hecuba was once quoted in the play of Hamlet.

Hecuba - what is she to him, what's he to her
    That he should cry for her?
    (no verbatim citation)
    'He' is an actor who performed the wailing of Hecuba
    for Hamlet and bursted out in tears on stage, so vividly could he transpose his role.

Hecuba was the Queen of Troy, once blessed with conjugal bliss and a happy mother of many. But the siege and conquest of Troy and the sacking of the town by the Greeks (Odysseus) killed her hubby and deprived her of all her children. The famous wailing expresses her grief and pain. She became the epitome for all the suffering women had to bear because of war.
  • It seems, Mrs Moa, that you have time to waste going to the beach. Then I suggest that you stop your car near a farm and observe the farmer with a wheelbarrow carrying manure. Then you will see the wheel : it is a real and active way of keeping the wheel rolling...
  • Well, that point has something to it.

Sophie, it's nothing against you, I am not critizing you - I mean the general point.

We're living in times, in which alas hard physical work is much less appreciated and valued than it should be. 'Real' work, how it is called, is not very attractive anymore - even though it's still very important. And people, who still do that 'dirty' work are not only underpaid, they even get less attention and appreciation than white-collar workers and some so-called 'artists'.

I don't know. Sometimes I think: In what crazy times we life.

Acting in movies, writing books, showmanship are more attractive - and actors and writers are much more valued and paid than real hard working people.

It's nothing against art and artists, not at all, but sometimes I have the impression that being an artist in any way whatsover is a goal for some people who have no talent and only want to escape reality and, in their view, a trite existence as commonplace workers or simple employees. A kind of self-fulfillment. As if there could be no self-fulfillment and content in being a simple employee, doing something for the community. That's my point.
  • We have the wheel, we have Peirce's Arrow (see GG Users topic), are we going to the moon again ?
  • Are we going to the moon again?

It could be. And I hope we will do. Engaging in a common, international endeavor to visit the moon again is any way better and unifying than waging childish religious wars on earth and pondering how the prepare the next financial collapse.

Even though the last and first mond landing was a by-product of a cold war and extremely national, it was at any rate a propulsion for scientific, technical interest among the generation which was young back then. The moon landing in 1969 must have been a roiling event for those who were lucky enough to experience it consciously back then.

I, pesonally, in those days, was still liquid. ;)
  • From Alumnus Alumni:
    We have the wheel, we have Peirce's Arrow (see GG Users topic), are we going to the moon again ?

My concept of the ministry only says No W once again. The Lunokhod Rovers've already looked for the black magic woman on the moon. There is no magic fairy, this wheels on fire were rolling down the road for god and all. And the so-called man in the moon is only the last sucker, as always. Don't worry Prof Alumnussi, keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel. In spite of Peirce's Arrow, Jehova built my Hot Rod!
    What a wonderful world - God save the moron,
    Capablanca
  • I like the Wheel of Fortune as a comparison of life cycle very much : some desperate let them fall from the wheel, some others, just like David Servan Schreiber fight and hang upon the wheel. There are good times on the top, bad times at the bottom...How long will an old Alumnus like me stay on the GG Wheel of Fortune ?
  • From Yann Le Ster:
    It seems, Mrs Moa, that you have time to waste going to the beach. Then I suggest that you stop your car near a farm and observe the farmer with a wheelbarrow carrying manure. Then you will see the wheel : it is a real and active way of keeping the wheel rolling...

Exactly. But in Mrs. Moa's world, the electric energy comes out the socket in the wall, the food comes from the supermarket and a wheelbarrow is a strange object in the museum. But she is haunted by wheels.
  • Yes, we are all on the wheel of fortune : optimistic people :) are rolling and enjoy while pessimistic :( doubt, fall to the ground and are destroyed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.