English Vocabulary

baby's vocabulary

I'm a new mother till tem months. I'd to speak english with my baby but sometimes words are missing.
Could you give me some vocabulary about baby attitude (caprices) and baby equipement ?
thanks in advance

9 comments

• Since 10 months you've been a mother, a new one! Congratulations, Elodie.
    You might find what you are looking for on the site tolearnenglish.com or, as long as French is your mother tongue on www.anglaisfacile.com.

I assume you'll get the French version. If so, proceed this way. Click successively on:
    "Utile"
    "Section: enfants"

You could also register (it's totally free) by entering a nickname. So you'd be able to step onto the forum and ask your question to a host. (That forum is monitored, it means the mistakes don't last long glaring on the screens.)
    On a weekly basis, on Sundays evenings, a topic is sent about vocabulary, grammar or current matters. Your question could possibly set off a weekly lesson on your issue.

That site has been set by a teacher and is managed by volunteers. I guess most of them are teachers or former teachers.

I also wonder whether the GymGlish cartoons for beginners wouldn't be of help.

Best wishes to baby, mother and company.
    Sandy
  • What's up, Elodie?
    Didn't you explore the track I suggested?
    If so, you very likely didn't find what you were looking for.

I could jot down here off the cuff a series of expressions fit for babies and children. Buy I'd like first to get an answer from you. Moreover it'd be great that you told us whether your baby is a wee boy or a wee girl.
  • Dear Sandy,

Sorry not answered you shortly. I was very busy with my job.
    Thank you very much for your tip. I'll explore the websites you've mentioned.

My baby is a little cuty boy called Mathieu. He's a blond-haired-boy with blue eyes !

I keep you in touch
    Elodie
  • Hi,
    I registered on the website www.anglaisfacile.com and now I receive each week a lesson, that's great ! thank you Sandy for your help !
    For babies vocabulary, i didn't progress a lot cause the vocabulary usually given by the site is around familly and steps of ages of the childhood.
    I'd like to know how to say : poussette, tétine,caprices, calin, pelle, rateau et sceau de plage, salopette, body etc...
  • In case you would drop by, Elodie...
    Better late than never, isn’t it?

I guess your Mathieu brings her mother a lot of happiness. So while taking him from the play pen (parc) or from the cradle (berceau), you won't tell him “Come on, you, naughty boy” but you should rather tell “Uppie, uppie, it's time you got a teat” .
    (uppie = baby's vocab for “up in your arms”)
    That supposes you breast-feed or suckle your baby (to suckle = allaiter – to feed at the breast = donner le sein).
    Or else the baby is bottle-fed (feeding-bottle = biberon). You could say “Come on, my sweet, it's time you got the bot-bot.”
    As he gets elder, Mat will wear a bib (bavoir).
    You have to change Mat regularly. You change the diapers or nappies(langes). 'Come on, boy, I'll change your didee”
    Later he'll go to the potty to wee-wee (= to widdle = to have a pee ) or to poo-poo (= to pooh)
    When he starts talking, he could say googoogaga (gougou-gaga) as he is in a good mood.
    Otherwise it's more than likely that he snivels (pleurniche).
    To prevent him from sniveling, he could get a dummy (tétine).
    As he is bound to play with his poo or dirt things, you'll tell him “Don't touch. That's icky?”
    If he would be a naughty boy (or a bad boy) he should be told off (to tell off = gronder).
    But, as I can guess, he must always be a good boy and therefore get a reward. (récompense).
    As you walk the wee Mat in his pram (poussette) you find he is so lovely that you want to give him a cuddle (un câlin).
    You feel like going on the beach with your son. To play in the sand he uses a shovel (pelle), a small bucket (seau) and a rake (rateau).
    He is wearing 'une salopette'. For a worker that's an overall. But for you kid, I'd say pants.
    The body being a suit hasn't to be translated, I think.
    I'll come to an end with 'les caprices'. For a grown-up, I'd say they are acting on a whim. But for a child, I dunno how to say. I looked up in my Robert&Collins which reads: "Cet enfant fait des caprices, this child is being awkward."

Long life to Mathieu.
    Sandy
  • Whouahhhh,super mamy and super baby, a lot of hapyness for you two
    lots of ove
    Vic.

From Sandy Ayeomen:
    In case you would drop by, Elodie...
    Better late than never, isn’t it?

I guess your Mathieu brings her mother a lot of happiness. So while taking him from the play pen (parc) or from the cradle (berceau), you won't tell him “Come on, you, naughty boy” but you should rather tell “Uppie, uppie, it's time you got a teat” .
    (uppie = baby's vocab for “up in your arms”)
    That supposes you breast-feed or suckle your baby (to suckle = allaiter – to feed at the breast = donner le sein).
    Or else the baby is bottle-fed (feeding-bottle = biberon). You could say “Come on, my sweet, it's time you got the bot-bot.”
    As he gets elder, Mat will wear a bib (bavoir).
    You have to change Mat regularly. You change the diapers or nappies(langes). 'Come on, boy, I'll change your didee”
    Later he'll go to the potty to wee-wee (= to widdle = to have a pee ) or to poo-poo (= to pooh)
    When he starts talking, he could say googoogaga (gougou-gaga) as he is in a good mood.
    Otherwise it's more than likely that he snivels (pleurniche).
    To prevent him from sniveling, he could get a dummy (tétine).
    As he is bound to play with his poo or dirt things, you'll tell him “Don't touch. That's icky?”
    If he would be a naughty boy (or a bad boy) he should be told off (to tell off = gronder).
    But, as I can guess, he must always be a good boy and therefore get a reward. (récompense).
    As you walk the wee Mat in his pram (poussette) you find he is so lovely that you want to give him a cuddle (un câlin).
    You feel like going on the beach with your son. To play in the sand he uses a shovel (pelle), a small bucket (seau) and a rake (rateau).
    He is wearing 'une salopette'. For a worker that's an overall. But for you kid, I'd say pants.
    The body being a suit hasn't to be translated, I think.
    I'll come to an end with 'les caprices'. For a grown-up, I'd say they are acting on a whim. But for a child, I dunno how to say. I looked up in my Robert&Collins which reads: "Cet enfant fait des caprices, this child is being awkward."

Long life to Mathieu.
    Sandy

• Thank you very much Sandy for this vocabulary ! it'll help me to speak with my babylove Mat.Unfortunately I can't join a photograph of my son. He has eighteen months now, he can walk and eat alone. He says few french words but he understands all my orders in english language ! i'm very proud of him and me !
    Elodie
  • Hi Elodie,
    As every regular down this forum, I am so pleased to learn that Mat IS 18 months. Moreover he can utter French and understand your English: two CAPITAL privileges.
    You're right being proud of it.
    AhQ
    it's not easy everyday, especially till Mat is making fancies.. I'm not vvery fluent in arguing !
    Elodie

Please sign in to leave a comment.