English Vocabulary

American language

I am a bit cheesed off since i found out that spoken American is tough to understand. Even listening to the text over and over again quite often I can't figure out the meaning.....as a result I collect mistakes. In the latest test it was "toll-free hotline".
All I could hear was something like "toll..." hotline. My vocabulary score is rather poor a fact that annoys me. As well some tests are hidden away so I tend to overlook them. Am I the only one having these problems???

5 comments

• no it's moe difficult to understand by phone american languange.i have the same problem and my english vocabulary is not rich.the only solution is to practice more and more
  • Hello Tom and lot,

You're not alone in having difficulty understanding different accents in English! Some people find American accents difficult, others find British ones difficult. This usually depends on which version of English they have encountered the most, for example at school.

We try to make sure that your lessons feature a mix of British, American, Australian, Irish, etc. actors. Also, your lessons are written by a team of native English speakers from both Britain and America. We feel it's important for you to master English as it's used all over the world.

You might like to note that you can choose which accents to focus on by changing your 'pedagogical interests' in your online Workbook. There's a link to the Workbook at the top of every GymGlish lesson.

I hope this helps!

Helen
  • From Tom the cat:
    I am a bit cheesed off since i found out that spoken American is tough to understand. Even listening to the text over and over again quite often I can't figure out the meaning.....as a result I collect mistakes. In the latest test it was "toll-free hotline".
    All I could hear was something like "toll..." hotline. My vocabulary score is rather poor a fact that annoys me. As well some tests are hidden away so I tend to overlook them. Am I the only one having these problems???

• From GymGlish Content:
    Hello Tom and lot,

You're not alone in having difficulty understanding different accents in English! Some people find American accents difficult, others find British ones difficult. This usually depends on which version of English they have encountered the most, for example at school.

We try to make sure that your lessons feature a mix of British, American, Australian, Irish, etc. actors. Also, your lessons are written by a team of native English speakers from both Britain and America. We feel it's important for you to master English as it's used all over the world.

You might like to note that you can choose which accents to focus on by changing your 'pedagogical interests' in your online Workbook. There's a link to the Workbook at the top of every GymGlish lesson.

I hope this helps!

Helen

• Having hitch-hiked through different States, East to West and back a few decades ago, I had the impression there is not a single american accent but several (texan, californian...) ? Who can confirm ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.