English Grammar

PRESENT CONTINOUS VS. PRESENT SIMPLE

Hi there,
Somebody can tell me why I have to use the Present Progressive in the first part of the following text and the Present Simple in the second part.
Thanks,
Jorgito

It is 7:45 in the evening, and Philip Cheeter run is running late for his date with Swedish super-model Ivana Bümbüm. Cheeter gets into his car and drives to the florist to buy some petunias.

5 comments

• Hi there,
    Somebody can tell me why I have to use the Present Progressive in the first part of the following text and the Present Simple in the second part.
    Thanks,
    Jorgito

It is 7:45 in the evening, and Philip Cheeter run is running late for his date with Swedish super-model Ivana Bümbüm. Cheeter gets into his car and drives to the florist to buy some petunias.
  • You're absolutely right, AhQ. Those are the reasons why we have to use those tenses in those places.
  • I'm not sure I understand well :
    - do you mean "performative action" is not the appropriate word ?
    - and even an action that doesn't last should be described with the "present continuous" ?.
    I must confess that "performative action", "present continuous" and even "head gasket" didn't belong to my vocabulary...thank you ! I can now see what they mean ;)
  • My goodness! How lucky we are with numbering among us a gasket that doesn't let bad toughts spread all around.

Thank you, Head Gasket, for correcting both errors, the word misuse and the grammar mistake. My opinion proved to be twice wrong.
  • At 7:45 PM Philipe is running late. It's a state of being that lasts for some time.

He gets into his car. That doesn't last, it's a sudden action.
    He drives to the florist. It's a performative action, not a lasting one.

Just my opinion, Jorgito.

Please sign in to leave a comment.