English Idioms

he did not like the "off switch"

Ithink i undersatand what it means, but i'ts the first time i see this expression, anyway, it's a great loss.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/steve-jobs-in-the-end-he-didnt-like-the-off-switch/61586?tag=nl.e589

8 comments

• Thank you so much, Victorine, it's very interesting. Just allow me to insert an extract :

"I remember sitting in his backyard in his garden one day and he started talking about God. He said, “Sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don’t. I think it’s 50-50 maybe. But ever since I’ve had cancer, I’ve been thinking about it more. And I find myself believing a bit more. I kind of– maybe it’s ’cause I want to believe in an afterlife. That when you die, it doesn’t just all disappear. The wisdom you’ve accumulated. Somehow it lives on, but sometimes I think it’s just like an on-off switch. Click and you’re gone.” He said– paused again, and he said, “And that’s why I don’t like putting on-off switches on Apple devices.” "
  • If there was an afterlife, Steve Jobs would know now for sure. But if he really had said the odds of God existing were 50-50, then there seems to be not so much wisdom which could have been lost, and the off switch is not that pernicious as it's cracked to be.
  • ...and perhaps Augustine and Victorine are just one unique writer, who knows but Augustine and Victorine ?
  • There are three apples which have changed the world:
    Adam's and Eve's apple, Newton's apple and Steve Jobs' apple. The first one is a myth, the second one perhaps, but the third one is reall. I see it on my MP3 player everytime I go jogging.
  • (excerpt from a review of LinkedIn)
    "I Stalked Steve Jobs (And How To Get A Meeting With ANY VIP)
    I was a young CEO and I needed answers. Steve Jobs had them. There was only one thing to do.
    So I sent a FedEx letter.
    Then I sent another.
    Then I started calling.
    Then I sent another FedEx, and called some more. Finally, after 7 FedExs and 12 phone calls, Steve’s assistant said he wanted to talk with me.
    “You keep sending FedExs and calling. So let’s end it. What do you want?” Steve said, with his characteristic charm.
    “Five minutes of your time. I really admire your accomplishments and as a young CEO I have a few questions no one else can answer.”
    “Bring a timer.”
    “I will. Oh—and thanks.”
    He had already hung up.
    ..."
  • fifty-fifty, but i am afraid, no real answer.
  • You forgot the apples of Schiller. One on the head of Tell's son, the others in Schiller's desk drawer.
  • ...and Snow White's apple... and The Big Apple...
    ..and Apple Records...

If we ennumerate all the apples which have appeared in literature, fairy tales, mythology and business world, we won't be finished in two days. Instead, let's concentrate on the most important ones that had groundbreaking impacts.

Please sign in to leave a comment.