Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Perversité de Gymglish

Pourquoi poser la question au pluriel (select statements...) quand il n'y a qu'une seule réponse vraie de possible ?
C'est de la pure perversité
Mercure

3 comments

• You're right - I'll investigate...
    Let's keep the vibe (and in english !!!)!
    Peace Out,
    Willy (The Security Guard)

From Mercure:
    Pourquoi poser la question au pluriel (select statements...) quand il n'y a qu'une seule réponse vraie de possible ?
    C'est de la pure perversité
    Mercure

• Please, let me try to translate what have written Mercure:
    "Why not putting to the singular this sentence "select statmentS" because indeed there's only one possible answer? Pure perversity!"

Any corrector for my personal game? LoL
  • I don't share Mercure's opinion.
    Why?
    Let's take the place of a scientist, a technician or any other person who has to explain a phenomenon, to solve a problem, to clear up a question. It's a major talent to be able to take into account ANY possible solution, explanation and not simply make do with the first answer that pops up.
    As a phenomenologist I always try to suspend (= to put into brackets) the first sense of any experience because I want to get rid of any a priori.
    But you could argue that here in the GymGlish exercise Mercure mentioned, only one answer is right.
    If I would use a hyperbolic doubt in Descartes' way, I'd think that the GymGlish team themselves could be wrong. But I won't though.
    However I'll think that the aim of the exercise is to develop our skills in English. So by letting us consider several answers, first they display wrong answers that we could or couln't spontenously consider, secundly they give us he opportunity to practice a phenomenologist behaviour. Good for us.
    If they said in advance that only one answer is correct, that would be giving the half of the answer and make the exercise only half-useful.

Please sign in to leave a comment.