Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Nowadays decalogue

The decalogue god is said to have given to Moses on Mount Sinaï has changed according to the nowadays shape of society.
1. The poor: they work.
2. The wealthy: they exploit the first.
3. The soldier: they defend both.
4. The taxpayer: they pay for the three.
5. The civil servant: they rest for the four.
6. The drunkard: they drink for the five.
7. The banker: they swindle money out of the six.
8. The lawyer: they cheat the seven.
9. The physician: they kill the eight.
10. The undertaker: they bury the nine.
(Extra commandment to move with the times) The politician: they live on from the ten.

4 comments

• One person can unite several of these characters on himself: A soldier is sometimes a drunkard and a taxpayer, and sometimes he is also poor. Then he fightw partly for himself, drinks partly for himself and pays partly for himself - but he doesn't really work (maybe sometimes).

And the lawyer is often a wealthy person, but often even a drunkard, just as the physician. And the same goes for the banker.

And the untertaker is certainly a taxpayer - then he buries himself.

There are so much overlappings. But anyway, these are not commandments, these are statements of current conditions.

But isn't it suspicious: Why did God give his then commandments to only one person in private, alone on a mountain, so that he should tell all the others? Why didn't he make a worldwide, public announcenment to all people on earth? He had the power to do so.
  • OK, I've got the meaning at third attempt ;). I didn't know what an undertaker is. What is the limit between the poor and the wealthy ? 4000 € a month as one our politicians suggested once ?
  • It's quite flummoxing that there is a significant difference between an "undertaking" and an "undertaker".

(Eureka, at least I can finally practise the verb "to flummox" in the adjective form, I hope "flummoxing" is OK.)

The undertaker is often seen in Italo Western movies, looking forward to and following every duel, hoping a dead corpse will fall by the wayside. It's always a good business for him. They are dressed in black with a black high hat and a haggard stature and a wrinkled face. And they are always asking the relatives how the old grandma is doing.
  • After the fourth reading, I have had an idea : who made the poor become a poor, the drunkard become a drunkard...the politician become a politician. Very often in democratic countries, elections make politicians : then, aren't we making our own subjugation ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.