English Grammar

sleepy and tired

Hi everyone,
In my lesson today (The Corporate Retreat, scene 6 of 10, #5 ) you said that sleepy is another word for « tired ». In my opinion, sleepy isn't a synonymous for tired.....When you are sleepy, you aren't necessarily tired. It's different. I look up in my dictionary and it's not mentioned that both terms are synomymous. So....controversial subject???? What do you think about?
Carmelle

8 comments

• Of course it's controversial. 'Tired' and 'sleepy' are not exactly synoyms, but in some cases they can be considered as synonyms. You can be tired (exhausted) without being sleepy and, conversely, you can be sleepy without being tired. Whoever has ever lain wide awake when being tired after a hard day, but was not able to sleep, knows what we mean.

'Exhausted' is in most cases more a synonym for 'tired', but not 'sleepy'.
  • hi,
    in certain pathologic situations, someone can stay asleep for many days. Of course he becomes very tired, however asleep. Thanks !
  • Hmm, tough one. Certainly, there are small differences between the two - but for English learners, these are nuances, and the terms are essentially synonymous. It is only really at more advanced stages of learning that one might come across the difference between the two terms.
  • Well, I agree. The nuances are sometimes what (some) people are wary of - and they will give you a hard time if you don't take care of the nuances, especially the professional writers. Moreoever, "tired" often has a meaning which "sleepy" has not, that is "to have enough of sth.". "to have one's fill of sth."

For example:
    "I am tired of driving my little brother to school every morning. With an age of 18 he is old enough to walk the 200 meters on his own."
  • P.S One disagreement. I don't really see why this is a tough one. I think it's quite obvious and shouldn't be neglected.

We shouldn't overlook the nuances - since we don't want to stay at the level we are. Why do not take heed of the fine subleties. Why should we dwell on the basic level, if we could learn soemething of the advanced level, provided we are ready for it?
  • What the Oxford Dictionary says:

a sleepy little town
    a sleepy (drowsy) child

I'm too tired (weary) even to think
  • From Head Gasket:
    Of course it's controversial. 'Tired' and 'sleepy' are not exactly synoyms, but in some cases they can be considered as synonyms. You can be tired (exhausted) without being sleepy and, conversely, you can be sleepy without being tired. Whoever has ever lain wide awake when being tired after a hard day, but was not able to sleep, knows what we mean.

'Exhausted' is in most cases more a synonym for 'tired', but not 'sleepy'.

From Fugendichter:
    What the Oxford Dictionary says:

a sleepy little town
    a sleepy (drowsy) child

I'm too tired (weary) even to think

[blockquotesleep is differente with tired
  • I think it is a short and right conclusion to the point by Isaac Tchibinda : sleep is different from tired.
    And so the statement wich read they are synoyms should be removed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.