Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

your GG experience ?

hello,
I'm new on gymglish and i wanted to have some reports from your experience.
I'm trying to learn a better english, i need that for my work because i'm use to travel. But i ve a lot of difficulties with my grammar, and i miss lot of vocabulary, even if people understand me and i finish to understand too.
I need to know if these courses are enought for a fast progress.
I love these, all the morning i m looking foward the new exercice, but i'm worry they are too short ...
What about you, your progression and your impression on your learning ?
thank's.

9 comments

• From my own experience (I've been with GG for a little more than three years) I would say GymGlish is a good teaser to start practising English and to keep up your motivation. The GG lessons never cease to pique your interest and it's something you (almost) always look forward to every morning.

But, to be frank and honest, I must say: in order to make quick and palpable progress you should do more than GymGlish lessons.I've had to do a lot more to improve my English considerably. When I started practising English in earnest 4 years ago, I was hardly able to read an article in an English magazine. Now, I haven't any significant difficulties anymore. It's fair to say that GymGlish has done it's part in my progress (and still does), but it's assuredly not everything that have made for the progress.

And I don't think I will quit my GG subscription for the forseeable future. I'm sure it will help me retain what I've learned and not to loose my current English skills.

What GymGlish is perfect in and distinguish it from other courses is that it never gets boring. Other courses attraction wear off over the time, until they become tiring and boring, but GymGlish always keeps up your spirit.

That's my experience.
  • Thank you for your reply, it's pretty much what I thought.
    If you have some indication for my practice, as well as GymGlish, I'll be pleased to know it.
  • Well, there is a lot you can do beside GymGlish - and I have done myself. One thing which is indispensable is a good memorizing program for vocabulary. I'had underestimated the value of it before I started improving my English in earnest, but it really helps.
    I had never been a sucker for learning vocabulary in school, I have to confess, because I thought: It's not for me, I can do without it - but I was wrong.

Then, of course, try to do almost everything you have done so far in your mother tongue in English: reading newspapers and magazines, books and online resources in English - and type in unnkown word into your program and repeat them on a regular basis.

When it comes to grammar, you have no other choice than getting a good book or online resource about English grammar and study it (tenses, of course, if-clauses, everything else). There is no way around hard work here, I think.

And, finally, of course, watch as many films, documentaries, news ans so on in English as possible. I've watched almost every movie in English since I starred working on my English. It's hard labour sometimes, it becomes frustrating part of the time, but you have to get over that rough period.

What I also have done quite often is writing E-Mails, letters etc. to imaginary people or real people I know, without sending them. That sounds weird, but it helps a lot. Not everybody I know is delighted when I write them in English, so I sometimes think of something I would like to tell them, write it down in the word processing program or the E-Mail program - and then don't send it. It's just for practicing purposes and it really pays off over time. When doing so, using words you've learned is also conducive to shove them into your long term memory.

It's not much of a wisdom I can tell you here. It's nothing special. It's the way I've done it, partly following some advice from teachers and English students.
  • Thank's a lot for your advices!

I think to be in the good way, I mean, I read, write and speak sometimes in english, but, maybe not enought.
    And, certainly, I should begin to arrange a good memorising programm for vocabulary and grammar in the same time!
  • Maybe I can recommend a memorizing program here (I suppose it's not against the regulations of this forum
    concerning surreptitious advertising, for example):

SuperMemo98.

It's free of charge. Maybe you can search for it via
    Internet search engine.

All the best with your progress. You may also feel like writing here in this forum in order to practice your writing skills in English. That's what this forum is all about. You're always welcome.
  • Oh! Great! I didn't know this kind of program. I had understand program like a plan...

Unfortuntly I'm using a mac and this one (Supermemo 98) don't work with, but I found another program: JVLT.
    I hope it's a good one too, I will see.
    The only thing I have left to do is to test it!

Thank's again for all!
  • It's Ok, whatever memorizing program works for you. It's not crucial what program you use. What is important is how regularily you use it.

I've been used to SuperMemo 98 for several years already, and it has always rendered my good services.
    Hence, I don't have the urge to change it, but, when another program comes along and I feel like changing - maybe I will.
  • Movie is good for practising your undestanding, i mean in "V.O", with french subtitles... so many to be seen, so much pleasure :

Shawn of the dead, True grit, We want sex equallity, Never let me go, The big Leboswky, Drive, Love and bruise, A dangerous method, Road to nowhere and, and.... you feel so proud when you don't need (almost not) to read the subtitles.
  • Yes, you're right. When you managed for example 'True Grit' without subtitles, you have accomplished something. Even Harold Warbuckle's dialect is a piece of cake compared to those movies.

Please sign in to leave a comment.