English Idioms

A pool-and-BBQ kind of guy

Is there someone knowing this expression?
I would be very pleased.
Prior thanks!

12 comments

• The pool at stake here is an excavation filled with water intended for swimming, wading or other kinds of water-based recreation. I presume you know that.

A BBQ, abbreviation for barbecue, is an grill heated with charcoal for roasting meat in the outdoors. I presume you know it.

Pool and BBQ are linked with hyphens, a way to make them work as adjectives.

Just imagine a guy who is used to relaxing, basking and doing nothing but having a natter in his backyard or his friends' backyard that is fit with a pool and a barbecue. You could call him a "pool-and-BBQ guy".

I wonder whether a green-lemon guy is that kind of guy. Green lemon seems to get better on with fish than with meat.
    I return your prior thanks as long as you confirm.
  • Thank you AhQ for your answer!
    (AhQ,BBQ,is there a link?...)Since I learn English , I ask may be too much question, but I would have miss not to known this expression that sounds like band's name with mysterious acronymous known only by very initiated people.
    The light is done, thanks for you, the winter has been so long I have forgotten the possibility of swimming, pool, wading, basking in the sun,I learnt a lot of vocabulary..., hyphens, charcoal!
    In this connection, why a green-lemon,associated to you with fish, couldn't be a BBQ kind of guy (or girl) .Fish cannot be grilled on a barbie?
    And if he is reading us,hi and sorry to Harold P.Warbuckle!
  • Say, green lemon, cooking is not my area of expertise. I can't even make green lemon out of lime. So, don't fail to grill fish on your barbie along with a BBQ kind of girl. Good to you.

About the names that sound alike, there is something that tells them apart. BBQ runs in 3 syllabes [bee-bee-queue] whereas AhQ only 2 [ae-queue]. As most people don't choose their name, I didn't either. At school I took part in a theatre workshop that brought to the stage a social tale inspired by a Chinese tragedy. I was cast to play the main character's part. AhQ was the name of the character and also the title of the play. AhQ is a day labourer who wholeheartedly commits himself in the revolution, but he is a so much naive guy that he has to endure the backlash of his naive deeds. As I was behaving in life like on the stage, that stage name kept sticking to my noddle.
  • AhQ, your personal experiment nearly makes me cry : can a naive labourer find his way in our world ? Perhaps this forum is the last place to do so ? My ancestor was a labourer (a ploughman, indeed), my grand grand father and grand father were soldiers; did they keep a naive state of mind, I don't know because they had died before my birth. I demand to be considered as a naive pacifist.
  • Hi AhQ
    I have known because of you the existence of the word lime and by the way that lemon means "minable" in British English.
    The british who are never seeing the sun, lemon and lemontree have given it a pejorative sense to console themselves not to have any, by swaggering,
    some AhQ kind of guys, isn't it? according to what I read about some others aspects of his personnality on Wikipédia.I didn't know this character contrary to my husband who is interesting by the Chinese culture.The book seems very well.
    The only question at present is to change or not to change my nickname.
    You have also right saying that we don't choose your name the more often.It is true that we don't escape to our determinants,I have remember my first nickname was "yellow of an egg" which is said yolk...
    I am hesitating.
  • From EpsilonBrain:
    AhQ, your personal experiment nearly makes me cry : can a naive labourer find his way in our world ? Perhaps this forum is the last place to do so ? My ancestor was a labourer (a ploughman, indeed), my grand grand father and grand father were soldiers; did they keep a naive state of mind, I don't know because they had died before my birth. I demand to be considered as a naive pacifist.

Hi Brainy Epsilon,
    Your say makes me hold you in high esteem. We could stick together in a crusade for peace.
  • From green lemon:
    Hi AhQ
    I have known because of you the existence of the word lime and by the way that lemon means "minable" in British English.
    The british who are never seeing the sun, lemon and lemontree have given it a pejorative sense to console themselves not to have any, by swaggering,
    some AhQ kind of guys, isn't it? according to what I read about some others aspects of his personnality on Wikipédia.I didn't know this character contrary to my husband who is interesting by the Chinese culture.The book seems very well.
    The only question at present is to change or not to change my nickname.
    You have also right saying that we don't choose your name the more often.It is true that we don't escape to our determinants,I have remember my first nickname was "yellow of an egg" which is said yolk...
    I am hesitating.

Hi, green lemon.
    You taught me a secondary meaning of your nick name that I didn't know so far. That's one of the main interests of chatting here; we improve our learning by teaching each other.
    As for me, I like your nick name which is a bit sour and bitter with that tender colour. Don't keep being in two minds, don't pussyfoot. Make up your mind by going on as a green lemon. That's just my mind. Up to you to think otherwise.
    With speaking of your husband you make me guess you are a female being. (A male or a gay wouldn't ever call their life-partner a husband, hey?) How sweet to me. Each time I'll read you, a she-silhouette will spring to my mind. How bewitching!
  • Thank AhQ to help me to make my decision, I'll keep on with GL aka green lemon.
    Chating with you is really widening my English vocabulary.I am very impressed with expressions as flowery as "pussyfoot"(I had have to laught) but whose I would prefer not to know the etymology or "bewitching" more interesting when it doesn't end on the stake.
    That had to be said on the Womenday to a (supposed) male not yet liberated ?
    Occasionnaly if you could tell me what sounds like a she-writing in my mails it would interest me,if not at least on an other subject.
    Bye!
  • I'll paraphrase a verse by Jean de la Fontaine who makes the fox cheat the crow with the basic difference that here it's no cheating at stake, only the pleasure of chatting with a nice "she-chat-partner".

If your silhouette looks like your chatter, you are the phoenix among the regulars of this forum.

Please sign in to leave a comment.